Vice President of Personal Lines
The Vice President of Personal Lines reports to the Senior Vice President of Underwriting and will be responsible for driving the strategy and execution for Central’s Personal Lines underwriting team.
- Create, lead, and direct strategy for Personal Lines to achieve operational and financial goals.
- Set priorities, targets and KPIs for Personal Lines; review and evaluate performance; provide feedback and calibrate as needed.
- Ensure compliance with underwriting guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Build strong, productive relationships with stakeholders and internal partners (regional underwriting teams, customer services, actuarial, data analytics, marketing, IT, senior leadership, etc.) in order to improve collaboration and identify opportunities to improve products/programs/services/systems/performance.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with Central’s independent agent partners.
- Lead, inspire, motivate and develop a large, diverse team of underwriting professionals to maximize their performance and productivity.
- Collaborate with key partners throughout the organization to understand requirements and improve opportunities to drive knowledge into action.
- Ensure the appropriate people strategy is in place to recruit, retain, train, and develop staff effectively.
- Results Orientation – Works collaboratively to achieve or exceed goals, improving and transforming departmental practices/procedures and performance.
- Strategic Orientation – Understands immediate issues and defines goals/plans within larger department and corporate strategy.
- Collaboration and Influence – Demonstrates a positive attitude. Actively engages with colleagues within the team, department, and company. Motivates others to work and establishes a cross-group collaborative culture.
- Team Leadership – Directs and explains the team’s work, what to do and why. Gets input from the team and inspires team commitment. Empowers the team to work independently. Builds a positive, high-performance team culture.
- Developing Organizational Capabilities – Supports and develops team members’ growth and the team’s capabilities, aiding development outside the team.
- Change Leadership – Recognizes and embraces a culture of change. Makes compelling case for change and empowers others to initiate change. Drives momentum for change.
- Market Understanding – Understands the context in which the insurance business operates. Demonstrates commitment to develop, share, and advance industry knowledge.
- Inclusiveness – Accepts and understands different and diverse views. Effectively functions well and facilitates engagement between diverse groups.
- Extensive personal underwriting experience. Significant experience with affluent and high net worth markets strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience in using and understanding the impacts of data and predictive analytics in developing underwriting and pricing strategy. Ability to articulate and support conclusions based on hard data and analysis.
- Strong analytical capabilities, excels at leveraging quantitative data to drive product decisions.
- Able to independently analyze data, as well as work cross-functionally with Data Science and Data Strategy to uncover deeper insights.
- Experience with designing, modeling, and implementing new products and/or programs.
- Experience with the independent agent distribution model. Experience with building relationships with independent agents. Understanding of the need to balance profit/production. Experience with taking input from agents and putting it into action. Involvement with the big independent agency groups is a plus.
- Experience with ratemaking/pricing. Experience in interpreting actuarial information. Experience balancing actuarial information with marketing/sales impact.
- Experience/familiarity/comfort with automated underwriting workflows.
- Strong understanding of the landscape of the Property & Casualty industry. Understanding the market.
- Experience with the premium budget process. Setting the budget. Analyzing the plans to meeting the budget. Understanding the implications that various factors can have on the budget and the results.
- Experience with reinsurance – helpful to have more than a basic understanding of how reinsurance and the cost of it factors into decision making on strategy and action plans.
- Understanding of the regulatory landscape. Experience in dealing with regulatory issues.
- Relevant professional designations such as CPCU highly desirable.
Do you live by our values of Integrity, Relationships, and Excellence?
- Take responsibility for actions and outcomes
- Do what you say you will do
- Care, because it matters
- Work as a team
- Never compromise on quality
- Commit to learning and development
- Service first mentality that takes initiative to serve others
It is the policy of Central that all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, job classification and assignment, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment and all other terms and conditions of employment shall be maintained in a manner which will not discriminate against any person because of race, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, military status, or disability. The applicant should respond to questions on this application in a way that will not divulge such information.
- 800 S Washington St, Van Wert, OH 45891, USA