Under the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer or designee, provides direct clinical care to patients as per education, training, license and certification in accordance with the Physician Assistant Licensing Act. The Physician Assistant is a member of Care Team with the purpose of providing evidence-based and quality medical care to Zufall Health Center patients and their families.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs assessments of patients including taking a detailed and accurate history, perform an appropriate physical examination, identify problems, record information and interpret and present information to the supervising physician
- Provides care to patients including but not limited to diagnostic and therapeutic assessments, treatment of conditions and illnesses within the scope of practice, referral and follow-up of patients, and providing patient and family education. follows accepted guidelines and protocols on clinical services.
- Performs therapeutic procedures by administering injections and immunizations;suturing;managing wounds and infections, as per privileges requested and granted by the Board of Directors and in accordance to the Physician Assistant Licensing Act (PALA)
- Documents patient care by completing timely progress notes in the EMR, and reviews work with supervising physician within the time frame designated by the PALA. Works collaboratively with supervising physician
- Instructs and counsels patients by describing therapeutic regimens; giving normal growth and development information;discussing family planning; providing counseling on emotional problems of daily living; reviewing medications; and promoting wellness and health maintenance
- Provides continuity of care by developing and implementing patient management plans
- maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols
- Participates in night and weekend call coverage in rotation with other providers as assigned. consults with supervising physician or Chief Medical Officer on cases as needed. Assists with weekend, night and early morning hours of operations and adjusts schedule when needed.
- Assists patients in obtaining community resources, referrals and other services as clinically indicated by the center's diverse populations. Assists the Chief Medical Officer and supervising physician in accessing services for the center and its patients with the local provider community, including physicians, hospitals and laboratories
- Complies with Federal and health center productivity standards
- Participates in clinical performance improvement activities. Attends regular meetings of the medical staff and other meetings as deemed necessary by the Chief Medical Officer
- Participates in clinical operations by ensuring compliance according to local, state and federal rules and regulations, and ensures that licensing, credentialing and educational activities are kept current and up to date. Contributes to and follows established policies and protocols for clinical care.
- Participates in in-service educational programs and continuing education. Completes continuing education requirements to maintain certification
- Participates in community health initiatives including health fairs, special immunization sessions, and other community outreach activities as directed
- Is an active member in good standing of the Medical Staff at Zufall Health center. Follows code of conduct, policies and procedures of Zufall Health Center, and state and federal regulations
- Maintains client confidentiality and follows HIPAA regulations in all interactions
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer
To perform successfully, the individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- A Masters degree in Physician Assistant studies from an accredited college or university in Physician Assistant Studies
- Certification as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to relate well to a diverse group of patients and staff
- Able and willing to work on as needed basis in order to meet operational needs of the clinic
- Proficient with computers, and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel, and electronic medical records
- Ability to speak both English and Spanish strongly preferred
- Possession of a current, valid PA license from the State of New Jersey
- Current certification as a Physician Assistant
- Possession of a valid DEA and CDS registration
- BLS Certification
- Minimum of one-year experience in a community health setting preferred
- Bicultural and bilingual experience valued
- Pay Type Salary
- Somerville, NJ 08876, USA