Senior Camp Counselor-Summer 2021
SENIOR CAMP COUNSELOR
CAMP SILVER BEACH
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of children in your community. Working at the YMCA you’ll discover more than a job – you will have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The Senior Camp Counselor provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal resident camp. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, caring and faith.
This is a seasonal, stipend-pay position at $200-$230/week depending on experience; lodging and meals included.
1. Responsible for the safety, health, and well-being of a cottage of campers.
2. Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
3. Responsible for being an active participant in the activity area assigned
4. Practice good role-modeling by acting in a way appropriate to mold young lives, both on and off duty
5. Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
6. Attends staff meetings and trainings.
7. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
8. Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
9. All other duties assigned.
1. At least 18 years of age (The age minimum may be higher depending on state law and YMCA policies.)
2. High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
3. Previous experience working with children preferably in a resident camp setting
4. Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: Archery, Riflrey, Climbing, general sports, arts and crafts, martial arts, outdoor living, dance, drama, water skiing, sailing, boat driving, skating, etc
5. CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
6. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
2. Ability to work long hours outdoors while maintaining focus and energy levels
3. Ability to walk considerable distances and spend significant periods standing
4. Some activity areas may require ability to lift up to 50lbs and/or be flexible enough to perform the duties required – Sailing, Motorboat Driving, Alpine Tower
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver’s license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
The YMCA of SouthHampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at YSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. YSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics.
Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essentialfunctions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.
- Job Family Resident Camp
- Camp Silver Beach, 5257 Downing Beach Rd, Jamesville, Virginia, United States of America