Volunteer & Community Engagement Director
This position is responsible for the strategic relationships as it relates to volunteerism and YMCA community partners. This position serves as a member of the Social Responsibility Senior Leadership team and has a direct impact on expanding the reach and impact of the work of the Y. The position is responsible for building and maintaining a robust volunteer program to support multiple areas within the organization. The position is responsible for building and stewarding a network of community partners to make a collective impact on our community. In addition to these functions there is a strategic priority to connect volunteers, community partners, and businesses to our work through an intentional moves management process that ultimately results in these individuals and organizations becoming stakeholders with a philanthropic relationship to build sustainability for the future.
1. Develop a robust volunteer program that supports the community and missional work of the YMCA through meaningful volunteer opportunities.
2. Responsible for developing collaborative strategies for volunteer recruitment through the Y’s network of community partners, stakeholders, and traditional volunteer pipelines
3. Develops a system for intake, screening, tracking, scheduling, stewarding, and showing gratitude for volunteers and our community partners. This includes working in collaboration with HR to maintain volunteer files.
4. Through a collaborative process, develops and provides leadership to build a network of community partners to secure partner sites for the community and missional work of the Y and a seamless strategy of holistic engagement to include philanthropy and volunteerism.
5. Secures sites from the point of entry to service for all social responsibility programs including Y on the Fly, Meals, and additional off-site programming. This also includes working with the Youth Development team to secure Summer Camp locations.
6. Establish an intentional moves management process to connect volunteers and partners to the work of the Y, leading to positive community impact by becoming invested in the work philanthropically.
7. Responsible for the onboarding, training, and development of all volunteers and community partner sites.
8. Establish a corporate pipeline of volunteers by engaging business and community leaders to mobilize groups of volunteers for good within the community and develop a relationship of mutual benefit to the organization and the Y, which includes a philanthropic relationship.
9. Works with supervisors to determine current needs for volunteers and partners.
10. Responsible for placement of volunteers, matching them with the Y’s areas of community needs and the volunteers strength.
11. Coordinates marketing of volunteer opportunities and determines best recruiting avenues to reach diverse groups.
12. Makes presentations to outside groups regarding the benefits of volunteering at the YMCA.
13. Develops and maintains relationships with community recruiting sources and working in collaboration with the HR team to develop the same staff recruitment pipelines.
14. Ensures tracking and reporting of volunteer hours. Generates volunteer reports on a monthly basis.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of the team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent preferred
2. One to two years related experience preferred, with preference given to candidates with experience in the following areas recruitment, non-profit, and sales.
3. Understanding of the use and implementation of technology and software systems to drive the work and efficiency of the process.
4. Understanding of the role of volunteerism and community partnerships within the YMCA.
5. The candidate must have strong written and verbal communications skills.
6. Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $42,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $45,000.00
- 7171 Goodlett Farms Pkwy, Cordova, TN 38016, USA