Y-CAP Virtual Tutor - Certified
Under the direction of the Program Director, the Tutor will ensure that the YMCA meets the needs of its members in the safest and most enjoyable virtual environment. The tutor will lead instruction and activities designed to promote subject mastery, develop grade-level competencies, and teach study skills in a virtual format The Tutor communicates and creates collaborative relationships with students, parents/guardians, school representatives and educational partners. The Tutor accepts, demonstrates, and teaches the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Primary – Program:
- Assess students using formal and informal instructional strategies virtually.
- Create and implement instructional plans to assist students in reaching their academic goals.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents/caregivers through regular communication about child’s strengths, goals, and areas of growth.
- Meet academic standards for tutoring and demonstrate competence in analyzing student academic needs.
- Support students in completing virtual learning modules and reinforce core concepts.
- Work with students individually or in small groups, while aligning support to student needs.
- Works with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes towards learning and studying by acknowledging students' efforts as well as their progress and achievements.
- Responsible for completing any administrative tasks including, but not limited to documentation, tracking, and maintaining regular progress and academic records of designated participants, attendance, etc..
- Adhere to all safety guidelines including risk management and child abuse prevention standards.
- Report to and update the Program Director with goals, strategies, and progress as requested.
- In-depth knowledge of subject area and experience working with students to achieve academic goals. Completed Bachelor’s degree and teaching certification.
- Experience in school districts local to the Memphis Metro Area and with the curriculum utilized by these districts.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working to help students achieve academic goals.
- Ability to be innovative, adaptive, and resourceful in creating instructional lesson plans.
- Possess knowledge of resources for a variety of instructional methods.
- Brings to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with students.
- Successfully pass and maintain required screenings
- Experience preferred, but not required, to using virtual learning platforms.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate both verbally and written to multiple audiences.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to teach students of all ages at varying levels of understanding and proficiency.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $18.00
- Max Hiring Rate $22.00