Group Exercise Instructor
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
Participates in the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of all member related wellness programs and activities. Facilitates Group Exercise classes at the Independent Health Family YMCA in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement.
GENERAL WORK SCHEDULE:
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, and an outstanding work environment. Employees are immediately eligible to enroll and contribute to the Y Retirement Fund’s 403B plan and will receive a 12% employer paid Y Retirement contribution after eligibility requirements are met.
Other benefits include leadership development opportunities, training, and career advancement.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; building relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, that align with the program goals and objectives.
- Understands different health needs; observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Asks and answers questions and displays empathy in support of helping member and program participants build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains a working knowledge of wellness trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Follows department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- National Certification in Group Fitness Instruction (e.g., ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM), certification in specific area of expertise, or YMCA of the USA equivalency certification within one year of employment is required.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certification from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI) is required.
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes preferred.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $12.50
- Max Hiring Rate $14.00
- Job Start Date Monday, February 22, 2021