Child Care - Group Teacher
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Y operates licensed School Age Child Care programs located at the Southtowns Family YMCA facility and at off-site locations within the service area The group teacher plans and implements the program curriculum to children and provides direction to child care staff.
GENERAL WORK SCHEDULE:
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, and an outstanding work environment. Employees are immediately eligible to enroll and contribute to the Y Retirement Fund’s 403B plan and will receive a 12% employer paid Y Retirement contribution after eligibility requirements are met.
Other benefits include leadership development opportunities, program specific training courses, and career advancement.
- Plans and implements weekly lesson plans. Follows all YMCA program standards.
- Provides direction, coaching and supervision to assigned staff. Enforces policies and procedures.
- Supervises the assigned children, the program area, and all activities.
- Implements and maintains policies, rules, regulations, and standards as required by the NYS Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS), school administration, and YMCA Buffalo Niagara.
- Follows and enforces department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas. Ensures PPE compliance.
- Provides a safe environment for all activities. Enforces safety rules and reports/treats any injuries.
- Performs various administrative tasks in compliance with YMCA procedures and regulatory agencies.
- Maintains all program supplies and equipment.
- Works with the Site Coordinator to react to customer feedback and implement plans to improve program quality.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with children, parents, staff, and school administration.
- Maintains all required certifications. Attends and participates in all staff meetings and training sessions.
- Responsible for communication to parents, school administration, YMCA and OCFS.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Meets qualifications in compliance with licensing requirements of the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS): Associate Degree in ECE, Child Dev, EL Ed, PE or related field, OR Child Care/SACC Credential or equivalent and 1 year of experience caring for children, OR 9 college credits in ECE, Child Dev or related field and 2 years of experience caring for children; successfully completes the OCFS comprehensive background clearance requirements before beginning work at the program site.
- Able to lead activities for elementary school age children including group work, values education, and age appropriate activities.
- An understanding of the YMCA and its mission, goals, and programs.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with participants, parents, school administration, and staff.
- American Red Cross, American Health Association, American Safety & Health Institute certification in CPR/AED (Adult, Child, Infant) and First Aid.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $14.50
- Job Start Date Monday, March 22, 2021