SUMMARY: VSE Corporation is seeking to hire a hands-on Assistant Corporate Controller to oversee a team responsible for complex and technically challenging accounting areas and play a key role in the financial management of a company with ambitious growth plans. We are seeking a candidate who will assume responsibility of implementation and execution of accounting policies, financial statement consolidation, and SEC reporting functions. The position will execute efforts to enhance the company’s ability to accommodate both organic and acquired growth. This individual will work with key internal and external stakeholders on issues related to the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to the various accounting processes along with ensuring relevant processes are in place to deliver accurate financial statements. The Assistant Controller will report to the Corporate Controller and have significant exposure to the CFO and Executive leadership team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the segment consolidation function and monthly reporting of consolidated results, ensuring accurate and timely financial statement preparation in accordance with GAAP. Lead implementation of newest financial consolidation tool to drive efficiency in financial reporting.
- Direct the technical accounting activities, ensuring the Company’s most complex accounting matters are well vetted and appropriately supported.
- Establish new and interpret all existing company accounting policies, including those relating to revenue recognition.
- Assist in the preparation of SEC reports, primarily on Forms 10-K and 10-Q
- Assist in preparing communications to the Audit Committee.
- Assist in managing our external financial auditors to ensure efficient and effective communications between the audit and VSE management teams.
- Play a critical role on the extended CFO leadership team. Combine best-in-class accounting processes and people leadership to help build a culture focused on shareholder value creation, financial integrity, and people development.
- Support continuous improvement on financial improvement projects relating to corporate accounting and financial reporting.
- Education: Outstanding academic credentials including a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or similar (CPA preferred).
- Experience: 10 years of progressive experience, including a leadership role in technical accounting and SEC reporting with a publicly-traded company.
- Communications: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; listen to others and effectively comprehend information; creates an environment allowing timely information flows throughout the organization. Ability to translate financial concepts to collaborate with colleagues outside the accounting organization; and present critical financial matters to the executive management team.
- Leadership: Experience interacting with both internal and external stakeholders. Confident in leading and guiding others and assessing effectiveness and opportunities. A collaborative leadership style that builds relationships across the organization to drive strong partnerships with the accounting team.
- Prior public accounting experience with a Big-4 firm or similar
- MBA degree, or similar experiences
- Experience with government contracting, CAS, and FAR
- Prior experience with Oracle/Hyperion and Costpoint is preferable
The selected applicant will be subject to a background check and drug testing.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. VSE considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Finance and Accounting
- Job Function Treasurers, Controllers, and Chief Financial Officers
- Pay Type Salary
- VSE HQ Alexandria, 6348 Walker Lane, Alexandria, Virginia, United States of America