Actuarial Manager - Personal Lines
Our Personal Lines Actuarial department is seeking an Actuarial Manager to join our growing team in Worcester, MA Corporate Headquarters.
The Profitability (REPLAY) Team Manager role is responsible for managing a team of actuaries focused on profitability oversight of the Personal Lines of business, reporting directly to the Countrywide Pricing Team Lead.
Personal Lines has approximately $1.9 Billion of premium across a suite of products. The Actuarial Manager provides overall management and technical oversight to a team of analysts with varying degrees of experience as well as being expected to complete their own hands on assignments. The Actuarial Manager partners with other actuaries and business leaders to provide critical insights into the profitability of the Personal Lines business. Key responsibilities of the role include oversight of IBNR forecasting as part of the REPLAY process, developing and publishing quarterly indications, the pricing Actual vs. Expected process, and top line and bottom line planning.
Effective communication skills are critical, as a high level of collaboration with the Pricing Actuaries, the Business, Claims, and Finance is expected.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Manage and lead a team of actuarial analysts, ensuring execution of deliverables along side personal growth of entire team
- Knows and applies actuarial fundamentals & principles.
- Monitoring profitability and communicating trends to executive leadership
- Partners with field and business leaders across the Personal Lines organization to build credibility of actuarial department and consult on strategic direction
- Ability to influence and negotiate the appropriate actions to support strategic goals of the organization
- Responsible for communicating results/issues to upper level management
- Responsible for performance and compensation management for team
- May lead or participate in community recruiting and/or training activities
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant technical field
- Seven+ years of technical experience in multiple LOB and/or actuarial disciplines such as pricing, reserving or advanced analytics.
- Minimum of 2 years in management capacity
- ACAS required, FCAS preferred
- Advanced communication skills
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office, including Excel
- Intermediate programming skills, including the ability to develop and automate processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of all techniques used to model various assumptions
- Able to apply and interpret company policies and procedures
- Able to direct activities of others, motivate and develop staff
Personal and Professional Competencies:
- Growth Mindset – Embraces a creative approach and a changing environment. Seeks to improve processes, constantly seek to learn, apply new techniques, challenge others and themselves to find a better way
- Relationship Building - Understands the importance of developing and maintaining cooperative relationships with others at all levels of the organization by making others feel their concerns and contributions are important. Builds positive relationships with others to accomplish organizational goals.
- Influencing Others - Communicates ideas or positions in a persuasive manner that build support, agreement, or commitment. Takes actions that directly or indirectly influence others to create buy-in, gain trust, and motivate actions in others or win concessions without damaging relationships.
- Results Orientation - Excited by challenging goals and a desire to exceed standards of excellence. Exceeding the standard can include challenging personal goals, organization's standards, or current industry standards. Exhibits a true sense of competitiveness and a drive for results. Has a strong desire to win in the most challenging of circumstances and the fortitude to take calculated risks to achieve personal objectives and goals, organization's standards, or current industry standards.
- Talent Management - Proactively fosters building, mobilizing and evaluating the organizations' human assets. Establishes performance goals and measures in order to accomplish organizational goals.
- Authorizes individuals to take initiative and make expedient, practical decisions that impact the performance or success of an event or project. Shares knowledge, skills or expertise with others; coaches others. Encourages and rewards learning, growth, etc., in others. Supports continual development of staff through assignments, coaching, and training.
- Business Enterprise Knowledge - Understands how one's own function adds value to the organization and to customers. Makes decisions and recommendations clearly linked to the organization's strategy and financial goals, reflecting an awareness of external dynamics. Demonstrates awareness by providing clear explanations for actions taken relative to customer requirements, needs, and industry trends.
- Strategic Thinking - Examines issues and plans with a long-term perspective. Able to critically evaluate external and internal factors.
- Change Management - Designs and transforms an organization based on assumptions of human capability and resiliency. Understands the basic human patterns that operate during change, and effectively focuses the organization's capability on an effective transformation. Focuses and energizes a group to accomplish change together and holds them accountable to common goals.
- Decisiveness - Makes decisions by quickly assessing the scope of an issue and providing options leading to its closure. Determines appropriate options based on the situation.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.
- Job Function Actuarial
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Worcester, MA, USA