DOT Safety Manager- Appalachian Coal Handling Region
Savage Services is seeking a Safety Manager, who will be responsible for leading the Savage safety culture at Savage’s Appalachian Coal Handling & Hauling Operations in Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Maine & Pennsylvania. This position will report to the Trucking Transportation Group SH&E Director and it is preferred that this position office among the above states.
- Trucking operation safety support 5+ years
- 3+ years working/driving experience in industry (Class A CDL preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in a safety-related field is preferred
- Safety and/or driving certification preferred (through the BCSP, NATMI, or FMCSA)
- Ability to achieve ASP/CSP certification
- 5 years related work experience demonstrating leadership capabilities
- Certified MSHA Instructor is preferred
- Certified Instructor for WV MSHA Coal Truck Driver Program
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) DOT Transportation & MSHA resulting from experience and education.
- Maintains a current knowledge of rules, regulations and compliance issues effecting the operation. (DOT, MSHA & OSHA)
- Capable of driving completion of safety required programs from start to finish with little assistance.
- Capable of handling multiple tasks while managing time effectively. (able to plan, organize and implement around priorities)
- Able to work as a team, building the Savage Safety culture at the operation.
- Understands or has been exposed to contractor safety programs, basic safety training for hazmat and chemicals, and customer safety policies.
- Ability to work with and perform computer operations (MS Office Suite) and access and use both Savage systems (OBI, S7i, SavageU) and third-party technology. (Supervision, JJ Keller, Geotab, and Zone Defender)
- Ability to analyze situations and data and make sound decisions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral and excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent people skills – good listener, communicator, patience and is able to develop trusting relationships.
- Must be available for off duty hours’ response and weekend support as needed.
- Ability to travel at a moment’s notice for a Site operation and leadership Team.
- Works closely with Site Leadership Teams implementing Savage’s safety programs and culture.
- Spends majority of time in the field with team members performing evaluations, field training and observations to ensure compliance and looking for opportunities to improve operations.
- Addresses issues and provides feedback (constructive and positive) to all levels of the Company.
- Works in conjunction with all functional support teams and all levels of leadership with particular emphasis working with Lead Safety Specialists and Safety Specialists regarding implementation of Savage’s overall Safety Strategy.
- Works with the Group SH&E Director to assess needs and provide resources for all safety related needs.
- Performs and follows-up on safety inspections, safety observations, and reviews at the operation.
- Works with customer(s) to understand their safety expectations and ensure a "No Worry" relationship.
- In the event of an Incident, assists the Site Leadership Team in ensuring the safety of everyone involved, identifying the Root Cause(s), and creating effective action plans eliminating the risk for recurrence as much as possible.
- Utilizes the S7i system to update the SH&E and Employee Training sections as needed.
- Ensures incidents are properly reported to internal and external parties.
- Works to identify, share and implement industry recognized best practices.
- Will learn, teach and re-enforce the basics of the Savage safety programs, such as SHAPs, SPACE and PAZ.
- Will conduct MSHA Annual Recertification for operation.
- Assist operation by teaching MSHA 8 and 24-hour Certification for operation new hires.
- Works with governmental agencies to acquire haulage & environmental permits for operation.
- Balance safety support between all Appalachian Operations
- Willing to receive hazardous material handling training & general safety training
- Willing to work with hazardous materials
- Ability to travel between the operations and periodically extended overnight stays
- Must be willing to wear FRC and other required PPE
Savage has been designated as a 2021 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Player Coach
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Telecommute % 50
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Kentucky, USA
- Maine, USA
- Maryland, USA
- North Carolina, USA
- Pennsylvania, USA
- Virginia, USA
- West Virginia, USA