Industrial Rail Car Washer
SAVAGE IS COMING TO THE PORTLAND, TX AREA!
WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICANTS FOR OUR MARCH HIRING EVENTS NOW!
**We will be reaching out to candidates in February**
The successful Rail Car Wash Operator candidate can be either a current rail facility operator or someone with a willingness to learn new skills and abide by the extensive training and direction Savage will provide. They will be responsible to switch, deheel, and wash rail cars safely and timely within the new Savage facility in Gregory, Texas while delivering “worry-free consistency” to our Customer by safely and efficiently washing railcars before they are loaded with different grades of Polyethylene plastics.
These are some of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage:
- Opportunities for Growth
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with match, and profit sharing
- $100 annual Steel-toe boot allowance
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
Here is what you will be doing:
- Responsible for the daily required volume of washing, with safe associated railcar movement in the deheeling and washing area at the Savage Gregory, TX, operation
- Understand and follow Savage rail operating procedures and policies based on extensive classroom and field training
- Understand and willing to act on communication and direction – the time windows that loads will need to be executed in to meet the needs of the facility will require close teamwork with the terminal master
- Operate a locomotive\ Trackmobile – Savage will provide training and certification
- Operate on ground as a rail switch operator- Savage will provide training and certification
- Work in all areas of the washing/deheeling building performing several tasks:
- Operating washing and deheeling equipment
- Recording inspections and completed washing activities in a Customer computer system
- Perform pre-shift maintenance walk downs of the entire washing system
- Work with two other crew members to safely perform railcar movements
- Complete basic data entry tasks in a computer, with training provided
- Cross train on more than one function at the yard and should be willing to assist in the different rail-centric functions at the facility
- Work in the deheeling and washing area in a large-scale yard supporting a petrochemical plant with both time deadline and environmental compliance expectations
- Washing teams will need to respond to requests to change loading schedules or to respond to maintenance needs on short notice but will primarily operate off of detailed loading schedules
- Provide front-line compliance with Operation Clean Sweep and Savage 5S cleanliness and orderliness standards
Requirements of a successful Rail Car Washer:
- Willing to complete any assigned task(s) as long as they have been properly trained
- Ability to learn the skills necessary to do the job safely and in a way that adds value to the Customer’s operation and exceeds their expectations
- Participate in Safety Training Programs which may require travel
- Willing to, on occasion, travel to other sites to assist them in switching their facilities and training requirements
- Can read, write, and understand English
- Able to follow written and/or verbal instructions with minimal supervision
- Must pass a written and skills test on the type of work that he or she will be performing
- Dependable and shows up for scheduled work shifts
- Ability to work alternating 3-4, 4-3 shifts on a 24 hour schedule that will include holidays and weekends
- Wear required PPE
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner at all times
- Works safely at all times
- Pass drug / alcohol test / criminal background check required for onboarding
- The desire to treat and be treated fair
- Ability to anticipate and think ahead
- Experience in the rail industry is preferred but not required if willing to adhere to Savage rail training and best practices
- Heavy equipment experience a plus
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent
- Savage is an awarded Military-Friendly Employer – previous military experience with ability to work on a team and follow procedures is a plus
Here are some of the physical requirements of this role
- Railcar washers will work both indoors and outdoors every day and as a result will be exposed to the elements. Over half the time work will be in a covered area.
- Railcar washer must be physically able to do the following:
- Climb on and off railcars and locomotives safely
- Operate railcar hand brakes
- Operate rail switches
- Climb stairs at least 10-20 times in a given shift
- Must have the ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Should also have the ability to use basic hand tools
Able to work rotating shift schedule and overtime when needed
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Corpus Christi, TX, USA
- Gregory, TX, USA
- Portland, TX, USA