Assistant Operations Manager
Our Assistant Managers come to Savage for the daily challenge, opportunities for growth, teamwork, our focus on safety, and competitive pay, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. A culture that encourages Team Members to find a better way and enables them to “do things they never dreamed possible”. Whether that is accomplishing new goals in your existing position or working toward the next step in your career, you’ll find your path at Savage.
The successful Assistant Manager candidate will provide leadership that ensures worry free service to the customer, a safe work environment and culture for team members.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- Opportunities for Growth
- Annual bonus
- Paid Holidays
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, profit sharing and 401(k) with match
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
Here is what you will be doing
- Key leadership role in
- Developing operation team to own and maintain existing service expectations; with the ability to anticipate and adjust when changes dictates to continue providing “Worry Free” service.
- Develop and utilize operation plans to meet customer service needs in a safe and efficient manner.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a positive & productive culture amongst all team members in the Green River Operations
- Assist operational leadership in maintaining a strong focus on safety and productivity
- Understanding of logistics, utilization of equipment & people, to meet customer service expectations
- Hands on leader with operational and technical skills to ensure that “best practices” are being utilized which will be achieved through frequent efficiency tests
- Using efficiency testing data to track trends and address behaviors through positive coaching techniques and holding team members accountable
- Willing to report safety deficiencies to operational leadership to develop an improvement plan and assist in holding team members accountable
- Assisting operational leadership in maintaining a strong financial performance, review KPI’s, etc.
- Ability to work any shift when needed to cover/train certain job positions and to optimize performance
- Ability to assist at all Green River Operations to ensure safe & efficient service throughout
- Be a positive leader that takes a proactive approach in problem solving & directing people
- Ensure maintenance of equipment and facilities and understands maintenance of equipment and the Savage Maintenance Program
- Ability to train right, treat right, lead, and build teams. Create an environment where people are committed to professionalism and cleanliness
- Teach and promote personal responsibility for identifying safe behaviors, maintain clean & safe conditions, and environmental responsibility
- Cleanliness and organization of sites and assist in the 5S Program
- Ability to operate locomotives
- Ability to develop a switching plan
- Ensure the customer rail switching services are provided in a safe efficient manner
- Willing to work different shifts and weekends as needed
- Learn the Savage S7 Operating System
- Provide leadership and guidance to Lead Safety Specialists and Safety Specialists
- Work with customers to understand their expectations to ensure a trusted relationship
- Identify future leaders to coach, mentor and develop team members to go on to do things they never dreamed possible
- Ability to work with Operations Managers to discuss financial performance, review KPI’s, safety issues, etc.
- Hands-on experience in railcar switching and/or track maintenance.
- Operational leadership experience required.
- Be committed to reinforce the Savage culture.
- Be able to communicate effectively both in front of a group and one-on–one.
- Be the leader the front line team members will value and choose to follow.
- Willing and wanting to work different shifts at the Green River Operations to ensure team members are properly supported.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to adapt to changing operation demands;
- Assess hazards to service expectations
- Revise work (MOC)
- Ability to work with and perform basic computer operations (spreadsheet, word processor, and email operations), and general office organization.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements.
- Good written and oral skills with an ability to communicate with co-workers, customers, and other Company personnel.
- Be willing to travel at a minimum of once a year to attend company required meetings.
- Desire and willingness to learn & teach.
- Must be a person of high Integrity and value based principles and be willing to the right thing in balance for the customer, team member and the company even when no one is looking
- Have 2+ years of leadership experience in railroad and/or industrial rail operations. Experience with interacting and developing relationships with mainline railroads would be beneficial
- Management experience is a plus
- College degree preferred
- Have the physical health to work with its team members in the operation and train them in their jobs and assignments
- Be able to lift 75 lbs. throughout the course of a shift
- Ability to climb up and down railcars, and up and over steps and ladders
- Ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time up to 12+ hours
- Ability to work outdoors in all manner of weather and other environments
- Should have the ability to use basic hand tools
Savage is an innovative supply-chain solutions company. We are the leading provider of fully integrated systems, designed and operated to solve unique logistics and materials management challenges for industrial companies throughout North America. Each of us at Savage is committed to integrity and delivering reliable, sustainable services in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We expect our people to be progressive, relentlessly seeking improvement; experiencing opportunities for personal growth by working for a world-class organization and leader in the industry.
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Player Coach
- Pay Type Salary
- Green River, WY 82935, USA