Material Handling Supervisor
Our Operations Supervisors come to Savage for the daily challenge, opportunities for growth, teamwork, our focus on safety, and competitive pay, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. A culture that encourages Team Members to find a better way and enables them to “do things they never dreamed possible”. Whether that is accomplishing new goals in your existing position or working toward the next step in your career, you’ll find your path at Savage.
The successful Operations Supervisor candidate will lead the operating efforts rail operations, transloading, and track maintenance work performed for the Northeast Nevada Regional Railport by organizing and ensuring work is completed in a safe and efficient manner
Here is what you will be doing
- Lead in Safety by setting an example, ensure procedures are followed, conduct training, praise safe behavior and correct unsafe acts, build a culture of safety and take an active role in the daily safety briefing
- Work with the individual team members on their specific needs, make sure they are treated right and provide them with opportunities for growth through cross training
- Be a presence in the field, working alongside team members as they perform their work, balancing time between in-field and office work
- Participate in team member professional growth activities such as hiring, coaching, disciplinary processes, and one-on-ones
- Assure crews are on time and prepared to work
- Serve as incident commander during emergencies in the absence of the Operations Manager
- Understand the unique needs of each operating unit, on the transloading, switching and rail side of the business, and see that the customer’s expectations are met
- Plan and organize the crew so they can be productive and the needs of the customers can be met
- Communicate with the Operations Manager on any operational problems or issues
- Provide accurate daily shift summary reports to the Operations Managers and other affected parties
- Report any equipment issues to the maintenance team
- Learn, implement, teach, and execute the S7 Delivery System
- Communicate with Customer contacts to understand their needs for the shift and see that the needs of the customer are executed
- Other duties as constituted
Requirements of a successful Transload Operations Supervisor
- Subject matter expert in one or more areas of the operation
- Rail switching and transloading experience is preferred
- Must be certified, or meet the criteria to achieve 240 and 242 FRA certifications
- Ability to perform basic maintenance
- Basic computer skills
- Can work independently with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude and a good team member
- Must pass a pre-employment physical, reference checks, drug screen, motor-vehicle report and criminal background check
- Must be able to attend and pass all test associated with job related coursework. This includes, but it not limited to: OSHA, HazMat and FRA related courses
- Strong leadership skills and attributes
- Passion for safety including the ability to motivate, inspire, and coach others, to maximize safe behaviors
- Prioritize an extensive task list that changes on a regular basis
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with team members and customer
- 3 to 5 years operating in an industrial environment
- Current Safety Specialist
- Minimum 1 year experience direct supervisory experience
- A high school diploma, or equivalent
- Current/valid driver license
Here are some of the physical requirements for this role
- Ablility to work outdoors in all weather conditions: extreme wind, rain, snow, cold, heat, etc.
- Comfortable with heights
- Able to pass a respirator fit test. May be asked to work under supplied air
- Crawl under rail cars and work in tight spaces
- Walk 8+ miles per day on uneven terrain, etc.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
- Job Family Player Coach
- Pay Type Hourly
- Elko, NV 89801, USA