Industrial Rail - Switchman
Are you looking for a company that values you for the work you do? Our Rail Switchman come to Savage for the challenge, growth and focus on safety, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. Our company was founded on processing and transporting materials for our customers. We understand and respect our Team Members as the lifeblood of what we do. Team Members are encouraged to find a better way and are enabled to “do things they never dreamed possible”.
Major Purpose: The Switchman’s primary responsibility is to safely and timely switch rail cars within the customers facility.
Responsibilities / Job Duties:
- The position of rail switch operator is responsible for the daily railcar movement in our customer’s facility located in El Segundo Ca.
- This individual will work with three other crew members to safely spot railcars at requested locations and build outbound trains for required pick up
- The Switchman is expected to be cross trained and willing to assist in the different functions performed at the facility.
- Operate a locomotive to spot rail cars on the correct tracks to be unloaded and then take the empty cars and build the outbound train.
- Build outbound trains, inspect rail cars and perform air brake inspections.
- Should be committed to working safely at all times
- Have the desire to build strong customer relations on a daily basis.
- Committed to show up on time on every scheduled work day.
- Understands the importance of good communication with the customer and other Savage employees.
- A willingness to complete any assigned task(s) as long as they have been properly trained.
- A desire to learn the skills necessary to do the job safely and in a way that adds value to the customers operation and exceed their expectations.
- This position will report to the Operation Manager
- They will interact with other Savage employees and the customer
- They may have the opportunity to participate in Safety Training Programs which may require travel to Salt Lake City, Utah or another location
- Willing to, on occasion, travel to other sites to assist them in switching their facilities
- Can read, write, and understand English
- Able to follow written and/or verbal instructions with minimal supervision
- Must pass a written and skills test on the type of work that he or she will be performing
- Willing to help with maintenance, clean-up, and anything else that requires attention, as directed by the Operations Manager and or Crew Leader
- Dependable and shows up for scheduled work shifts
- Willing to wear required PPE
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner at all times
- Works safely at all times
- Can follow all rules and procedures as outlines by Savage
- Ability to work Holidays and weekends
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the Rail Industry is preferred, but not required
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Switch person will work outdoors every day and as a result will be exposed to the elements
- Must be able to walk long distances, consistently bend, stoop kneel and climb on elevated surfaces
- Switch person must be physically able to do the following:
-Climb on and off railcars and locomotives safely
-Operate railcar hand brakes
-Operate rail switches
- Must have the ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs consistently throughout the course of a shift
- Should also have the ability to use basic hand tools
- Able to work night shift schedule and overtime when needed
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Thursday, November 12, 2020
- El Segundo, CA 90245, USA