Heavy Equipment Operator - Part Time
Are you looking for a company that values you for the work you do? Our Heavy Equipment Operators come to Savage for the challenge, growth and focus on safety, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. Our company was founded on processing and transporting materials for our customers. We understand and respect our Team Members as the lifeblood of what we do. Team Members are encouraged to find a better way and are enabled to “do things they never dreamed possible”.
The successful candidate will encompass responsibility for safely performing the basic tasks required to offloading of International and Domestic coal vessels, loading trains, trucks, maintaining coal yard integrity, and associated maintenance. These duties will encompass, however are not limited too - task associated with direct interactions with International and domestic vessels and their crews, operate the coal handling system, operate industrial mobile equipment, and perform general maintenance on equipment and facilities, at the Nova Scotia Power pier at Sydney NS. The Coal Facility Operator will report directly to the Operations Team Leader / Supervisor / Operations Manager.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
- $180/year steel toe boot allowance
- Opportunities for growth!
Here is what you will be doing
- Task directly associated to the mooring of incoming vessels, and unmooring of vessels at the completion of coal discharge
- Comply with all requirements of Marine Facility security
- Operate conveyor systems to transport coal in accordance with applicable safety practices
- Operate industrial mobile equipment as required for the purposes of maintaining coal yard integrity and logistics, supplying of required coal systems, loading of Trucks, and coal yard and road maintenance
- Complete daily safety inspection of equipment and facilities to ensure safe operations
- Perform routine clean-up, housekeeping, and maintenance of facilities, equipment and coal handling system
- Complete all training as identified as mandatory for regulatory compliance, as well as company associated course and training assigned by the Savage. Training sessions may involve in-house, on line mediums and may be conducted locally or on occasion - out of province offsite training.
- Wear all required Personal Protect Equipment as deem necessary by labour standards and Savage
- Perform other tasks as instructed
Requirements of a successful Transload Operator
- Must be able to safely perform the essential functions of the job without posing a direct threat to the safety of his or her own self, or the safety of others
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisors(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules
- Ability to read, write, and understand English, follow written and/or verbal instruction, and possess basic math and computer skills
- Willing to work any shift, including weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Can follow all policies and procedures as outlined by Savage
- Wear required Savage uniform
- Maintain a professional neat and tidy appearance
- Clean shaven for the purposes of respirator and/or dust mask proper fit, and annual fit test
- Experience in operation of front-end loaders, backhoes, skid steers, excavators, and other heavy equipment preferred
- MFSO (Marine Facility Security Officer) or PWSR (Person with Security Responsibilities) certification preferred
- Coal handling or aggregate handling experience preferred
- Experience with loading trucks utilizing front end loader preferred
- Must be 18 years of age or older and pass pre-employment screening
- Mechanically inclined, and willingness to undertake equipment and facility maintenance task
- High School or GED
- 2-5 years of experience preferred but not required
Here are some of the physical requirements for this role
- Must have the ability to perform the essential physical functions of the position:
- Work in an environment containing coal dust, hazardous noise, confined space, and in hot or cold environments
- Work at heights , climbing stairs, and climbing ladders
- Walk on uneven ground
- Walk up to 3 miles per shift
- Lift up to 50 pounds frequently
- Must be able to pass a fit test and pulmonary function test for the purposes of wearing a respirator and recertify annually or as needed;
- Ability to work outside in ALL weather conditions (snow, rain, sub-freezing temps)
Savage is an innovative supply-chain solutions company. We are the leading provider of fully integrated systems, designed and operated to solve unique logistics and materials management challenges for industrial companies throughout North America. Each of us at Savage is committed to integrity and delivering reliable, sustainable services in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We expect our people to be progressive, relentlessly seeking improvement; experiencing opportunities for personal growth by working for a world-class organization and leader in the industry.
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Sydney, NS, Canada