Senior Instructional Designer
1800 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA Req #25
Friday, August 28, 2020
At SHRM, we are committed to making work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members, including HR professionals, business executives, and people managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee engagement.
The Senior Instructional Designer is responsible for the development and delivery of SHRM’s eLearning and Seminar product portfolio directed to both organizations and HR professionals. These products help HR professionals develop their skills, competencies, and in turn, support the advancement of the HR profession. In this capacity, the Senior Instructional Designer conducts analyses and audits to assess customer needs and designs, develops and enhances new and existing education programs. Using instructional design methodologies and adult learning principles, the Senior Instructional Designer leads the development of eLearning, virtual, classroom, and blended programs for both domestic and global audiences.
- Designs and develops new education programs and products including materials to support eLearning, instructor-led seminars, virtual Instructor-led seminars, and blended learning opportunities.
- Creates project plans including summary, content outline, design approach, and timeline.
- Uses a project management tool to create projects and tasks, track time on projects, and deliver projects in a timely manner. Manages multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Designs and develops appropriate discussions, activities, and interactive concepts to enhance learning.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders regarding program features, overview, outline, and learning objectives for marketing and pricing purposes.
- Interviews Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) during the analysis and development lifecycle for their input and review.
- Conducts annual audits of eLearning products and seminars to determine necessary updates. Redesigns and updates current programs to reflect new laws and changes in the workplace. Informs appropriate departments of new features/content for inclusion in brochures and advertising materials.
- Makes recommendations on how our programs can be tailored to provide custom solutions for corporate clients.
- Researches current and emerging learning and development trends and technologies to stay current in the field of instructional design.
- Uses learner, SME, and peer feedback to improve course effectiveness.
- Applies adult learning principles, theories, and practices when designing and developing content, to ensure adult learners are engaged, retain content, and implement what they learned to improve their own, and their organization’s performance.
- Coaches and mentors junior designers/specialists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or a related field.
- 5 years of experience designing Virtual Instructor-Led, Web-Based Asynchronous, and Classroom Instructor-Led Training.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Word and Excel for analysis and design documents, PowerPoint for seminar development.
- Proficient with Adobe Connect (or similar platform) for virtual seminars, and Adobe Creative Suite for graphics editing.
- Proficient with Articulate Storyline (or other eLearning authoring tools) for eLearning development.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively listen, understand business requirements and translate them into products.
- Team player with a strong work ethic and collaboration skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Let us know if you have:
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Education, Educational/Instructional Technology, or a related field.
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP. Experience in developing education programs for private or public-sector organizations; Practical knowledge or hands-on experience in Human Resources.
- Proficient in executing all stages of the instructional design process - analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation - with an emphasis on new development and redesign.
- Ability to design and develop experiential and transformational content for a variety of delivery methods including classroom, eLearning, and virtual synchronous (via virtual delivery platforms).
- Work is generally done sitting, talking, hearing and typing. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily with reasonable accommodations.
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
SHRM is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- Job Family Instructional Design
- 1800 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA