1800 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA Req #16
Monday, August 3, 2020
At SHRM, we are committed to making work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members, including HR professionals, business executives, and people managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee engagement.
The Copy Editor works to ensure the quality of text and layouts for hundreds of projects each year from multiple SHRM business units and affiliates. Work encompasses a variety of styles, purposes, tones, formats, deadlines, budget specifications and delivery methods, including print, digital, online and via e-mail, with day-to-day oversight of specific client projects. Regular products include editorial materials (for example, HR Magazine, SHRM Online news and legal articles, and e-newsletters), research materials (for example, survey reports and infographics) and marketing and promotional materials (for example, content marketing, press releases, brochures, congressional testimony, advertisements, post cards and member e-mails).
- Copy edit text in assigned products for readability, accuracy, spelling, clarity, consistency, logic, grammar, punctuation, usage, good taste and fairness, ensuring that text meets quality standards guided by the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, the AP Stylebook, Webster’s New World College Dictionary and SHRM's brand guidelines.
- Work with content creators, editors, marketers and project managers to resolve any substantive questions and ensure clarity in text, keeping in mind the communication medium (print, digital, online, e-mail). Rewrite and copy-fit text as needed. Ensure final approval of content creators, editors, project managers and Copy Desk Manager as needed.
- Proofread print layouts through multiple rounds of corrections, ensuring that changes and corrections are incorporated, text is the appropriate length, spacing is used effectively, formatting is consistent, and page elements are accurate and conform to style guidelines. May include checking final printer proofs.
- Check charts, tables and graphs, etc., in assigned products for style and accuracy (sometimes checking math) and cross-check any text (including numbers) that also appears in the main article.
- Ensure that online Editorial and content marketing products use SEO best practices, and rewrite headlines, meta descriptions and other online elements as needed. Use content management system to correct and update online text.
- Make recommendations for—and help update, publicize and enforce—the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, and create and maintain supplemental styles. Stay up-to-date on changes in style and language usage; educate and advise clients on best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- 5 years of experience copyediting and proofreading publications, including news.
- Must have a firm grasp of English language, grammar, spelling, usage, punctuation and commonly used styles. Previous use of AP Style is preferred.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment under constant deadline, copyediting and proofreading accurately and quickly, in MS Word documents, in PDF, on paper and online.
- Must be able to organize work and time productively and meet the demands of competing priorities while requiring minimal supervision from the Copy Desk Manager.
- MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, MS Excel, InCopy and content management system experience.
Let us know if you have:
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online publishing (basic html).
- Work is generally done sitting, talking, hearing and typing. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily with reasonable accommodations.
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
SHRM is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- Job Family Editorial
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1800 Duke St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA