Field Research Assistant - Institute for Conservation Research
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Global is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Field Research Assistant will assist with research and monitoring of western burrowing owls in southern California, especially San Diego and Riverside Counties. This is an hourly position and number of hours per week may vary during the season (usually 40 hours/week). This is a full-time hourly position. Hours of the position are variable and may occur anytime between dawn and dusk, and may involve some weekend work. The schedule may change and requires flexibility. This is a temporary 5 - 6 month position working on the BUOW project.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Assisting with field surveys, including capture and banding of owls, installation of acclimation aviaries and artificial burrows, managed care of translocated owls, supplemental feeding, camera trapping, habitat assessments, and GPS tracking of owls
- Site visits to locate burrowing owl nests and monitor productivity
- Behavioral observations in the field and review of camera trap photos in the lab
- Data collection and data entry
- Ordering supplies and equipment
- Coordinating volunteers
- Use of hand-held GPS units and electronic tablets
- Working closely with and assisting senior program personnel
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply. Must have either a Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field OR at least one year of field experience working with wildlife, ability to be self-motivated and able to work both independently and in a team, ability to take direction and follow detailed protocols, physically fit to engage in long periods of fieldwork, effective communication, time management, and record keeping skills, field experience with birds, particularly raptors, experience with additional field research or wildlife management programs, as an employee or volunteer, banding and/or handling experience, experience with GIS and data management, experience with MS Access or databases is highly desirable, valid driver license in good standing, ability to pass a drug screen and physical ability test.
- At least one year of field experience working with wildlife
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field
- Valid driver license in good standing
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- 403b Plan
- Pension Plan
- Recovery Ecology
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- Pay Type Hourly
- 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA