Corporate Director of Wildlife Health - San Diego Zoo Global
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Global is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Corporate Director of Wildlife Health (CDWH) is primarily responsible for incorporating a One Health approach into our eight conservation hubs around the globe and, working closely with the Corporate Director of Wildlife Conservation Science (CDWCS), contributing to conservation programs that are outcome-based and maximize conservation impact for a healthier planet. The Corporate Director of Wildlife Health provides leadership over the wildlife health team and identifies biodiversity conservation opportunities for this team. The wildlife health team includes the veterinary clinical laboratory, molecular diagnostics laboratory, nutrition services, pathology services, and veterinary services at the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
The Corporate Director of Wildlife Health focuses the Wildlife Health Team on positive health outcomes using OKRs (objectives and key results) and data analytics. Additionally, this position oversees the plans and protocols for the wildlife in our care that provide for their health, welfare, and biosecurity. This position reports to the Chief Conservation and Wildlife Health Officer (CCWHO).
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Responsible for the health of the San Diego Zoo Global's wildlife at all locations and oversee the long-term plans that impact the health and nutritional management of the wildlife in our care
- Represent the organization in a wide variety of national and international settings and participate in various organizations as a representative of San Diego Zoo Global
- Identify legal issues and recommend changes to organization policy to executive team and monitor and analyze related legislation and regulations for the organization
- Manage and collaborates with staff in the development (CCWHO and CDWCS) and implementation (CDWCS) of the organization's strategic plans and assist leadership in setting strategy and goals
- Work closely with CDWCS to prioritize conservation work, utilize a One Health approach as appropriate, and incorporate technology such as telemedicine and data analytics
- Recommend significant capital expenditures and facility planning for the collection
- Provide interpretation of wildlife health topics via various media in collaboration with appropriate staff
- Conduct, lead or facilitate scientific activities in wildlife heath and prepare presentations to disseminate information to organizational leadership and community groups
- Mentor students, residents, post doc fellows, PhD students.
- Maintain contact with professional network (e.g., AZA, AAZV, AVMA, WDA, EAZWV, WAZA, IUCN etc.)
- Publish in peer‑reviewed scientific journals and other publications
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Global is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Please provide a letter of intent along with a CV.
- Must have 10 or more years in wildlife health field
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- DVM of VMD or equivalent
- PhD in health sciences such as disease ecology, epidemiology, laboratory science, etc. is strongly desired
- California Licensure as a veterinarian
- Federal Narcotics License desirable
- Valid California Driver's License in good standing
- Veterinary Specialty Board Certification (AZCM, ECZM, ACVP, etc.)
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Must have strong working knowledge of caring for zoological animals
- Must have experience with and knowledge of laws and regulations impacting zoological institutions
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams
- Veterinary medical and surgical skills knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to prepare materials for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Ability to operate moderately complex computer software programs
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectively (verbal and written)
- Ability to lead a diverse team
- Ability to build and develop effective teams
- Ability to demonstrate strategic and organizational agility
- Ability to listen with compassion
- Ability to prioritize vision and purpose
- Ability to develop peer relationships and manage conflict
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and make quality decisions
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego Zoo Global – Life Sciences Department
- Duration: Year round
- Exempt position: Salary is commensurate with experience
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description available upon request
- Please provide a letter of intent along with a CV
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- Pay Type Salary
- 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA