Senior Research Associate - Institute for Conservation Research
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Global is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Senior Research Associate performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that supports San Diego Zoo Global's mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Senior Research Associate is responsible for carrying out laboratory, animal care, or field duties in various areas of conservation research, endangered species propagation, and diagnostics. This position reports to the Research Coordinator.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Develops, updates, and implements a variety of laboratory, diagnostic, animal care, and/or field protocols, depending on the assignment
- Collects, collates, maintains, processes, and analyzes biological samples
- Reviews results and performs additional tests, adjusts protocols, or refers questionable findings for review as needed
- Prepares, arranges, and maintains records for sample and/or animal shipments
- Collects, records, and analyzes data utilizing spreadsheet and database systems
- Documents, files, and maintains records
- Conducts a variety of assigned research and husbandry activities
- Assures accuracy of laboratory, animal care, and field equipment by performing quality control and troubleshooting equipment problems
- Prepares data and related reports for presentation and/or publication
- Reviews related literature to remain abreast of developments in assigned field
- Adheres to all SDZG and department policies and practices
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The Population Sustainability team is looking for a motivated Senior Research Associate to support our large-carnivore research programs and the Conservation Technology Lab. The successful candidate will help with the processing and management of large camera trap datasets from across the world, will write scripts and build data pipelines for efficiently importing and exporting camera trap data in different formats, will support our Zooniverse sites (AmazonCam Tambopata and Wildwatch Kenya), and will help with data analysis. The candidate will also support the Conservation Technology Lab in a variety of tasks from developing data pipelines for a variety of sensors, to building relational databases, training machine learning models, developing software for microcontrollers and single board computers, as well as helping out with hardware development and testing.
This position requires strong quantitative skills as well as proficiency in R and Python programming. A background in geographic information systems (GIS), C/C++ programming, relational databases, as well as occupancy and capture-recapture models are a plus. The position will be based at the Institute for Conservation Research in Escondido, CA. Experience and proficiency with Linux, Bash scripting, NumPy, SciPy, pandas, OpenCV and Git will be considered an asset.
- Experience in conducting laboratory or field-based research
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in the biological sciences, computer science or engineering or a related field or equivalent specialized training
- Some positions may require certification
- California driver license
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Methods and equipment used in the assigned area of biological research, animal care, or diagnostics
- Data and record keeping skills
- Use computer programs (word processing, database, and spreadsheet systems)
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Work effectively with others in a diverse environment
- Prepare and make presentations
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- 403b Plan
- Pension Plan
- Location: Institute for Conservation Research - Population Sustainability
- Duration: Year round
- Positions available: 1
- Non-union Position: Salary is commensurate with experience
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA