Prep Cook/Kitchen Helper
Close: April 9, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Elders & Vulnerable Adult services
This position is an all-around Kitchen Helper who assists the Cook(s) with meal preparation and presentation, assists with and provides cleaning services in both the kitchen and dining areas, as well as assists Elders as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists cook with food preparation, including grill-work and baking.
- Assists with setting up, moving and taking down tables; arranging chairs and other items for Elders events in the building.
- Sets tables in dining area/or other area of building as needed.
- Assists cook with presentation of food for dining, takeout orders, and home bound orders.
- Assists Elders with clearing their plates and trash after meals.
- Washes dishes and cleans the kitchen and dining areas, including washing and sanitizing tables after meals.
- Empties dishwasher after dishes are cleaned and puts dishes/utensils, etc. away.
- Empties the trash after meals and at other times as necessary.
- Lifts heavy food dishes and cooking utensils.
- Responsible for sweeping and scrubbing kitchen and dining floors after meal preparations and events.
- Assist kitchen staff with monthly deep cleaning.
- Assists with food services for non-standard hour meal delivery with staff which shall include events and frozen meals.
- Communicates positively with staff about meal services.
- Assures kitchen and dining area clean and sanitary at all times.
- May be required to deliver lunches or pick up Elders and drive them to and from luncheons.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one year of culinary education or one year related cooking, kitchen help or dishwasher experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: Part-time work is prorated in crediting experience (e.g., if you work 20 hours per week for a 12-month period you will be credited with 6 months of experience).
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have and maintain a current Food Handlers Permit.
Must pass a criminal background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license. Driver’s license must not contain any restrictions that would prevent the employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Must have and maintain CPR certification.
Must be able to work holidays, nights and weekends.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision.
- The employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA