Public Safety Admin Asisstant
Close: April 13, 2021 at 8:59 pm PST
Department: Public Safety
Reports To: Director of Public Safety
Hours: 40 Hrs/Wk -- Full Time
Salary: DOQ + Benefits
Position Summary: Responsible for providing administrative assistance to the Director of Public Safety. Duties includes collection and distribution of department mail, photocopying, typing, filing, handling incoming calls, routing documents and other duties as assigned by the Director or Assistant Directors. Must be able to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for carrying out routine administrative duties for the Public Safety department.
- Composes routine correspondence and memos. May assist with updating of department documents.
- Answers departmental phones, takes messages, makes copies, and distributes correspondence and incoming mail to internal and external staff.
- Participates in training programs with surrounding agencies and jurisdictions in order to increase knowledge, skill and proficiency in the area of emergency preparedness.
- Responds to personnel, telephone, and written inquiries from general public and other Tribal Agencies.
- Assist with gathering data and preparing statistical reports for quarterly, grant and special projects.
- May assist in developing and implementing plans and procedures related to Puyallup Tribe’s Public Safety’s (PTPS) response to all hazards and emergencies.
- Serves as a liaison with other departments, staff, outside agencies and the general public.
- Assist with creating plans that provide operating procedures to be used for disasters or emergencies.
- Coordinate and arrange special events as assigned such as disaster response or crisis management activities; schedule meetings; notify participants; prepare and/or assemble meeting materials.
- Stay current with Federal, State & Local regulations that effect emergency management plans.
- Assists Security Supervisor and Assistant Director with timesheets and scheduling as needed.
- Processes invoices/payments in Microix. Follows-up to ensure payments are processed timely.
- Assists with and maintain inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) and two years of administrative or office related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Beginner to intermediate experience in word processing and spreadsheets.
Knowledge of the four phases of Emergency Management (Mitigation, Preparedness, Response and Recovery) preferred.
Knowledge of Incident Command System for Emergency Management preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Other Skills and Qualifications
§ Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
§ Must be friendly, courteous and tactful.
§ Must be dependable and have an ability to work with a team.
§ Must be able to deal with stress and keep track of various tasks.
§ Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent contacts and interruptions during the day.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA