Manager of Learning and Development
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments.
We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
Department: Human Resources
Direct Reports: No
Supervised By: Director of Talent Management and Diversity & Inclusion
The Manager of Learning and Development is responsible for improving the performance and productivity of the Firm's employees. This position assesses the Firm-wide developmental needs to drive training initiatives and identifies and arranges suitable training solutions for employees. The Manager of Learning and Development is responsible for coordinating with the Director of Talent Management and Diversity & Inclusion to plan, develop, conduct, evaluate, and administer programs that train employees and improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This position will require periodic travel, including overnights.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Assesses training needs through surveys, interviews/focus groups with employees, or consultations with people managers and department leaders.
• Designs and creates training manuals, online learning modules, and course materials.
• Research potential vendors to provide professional development and business development for employees. Assist with the selection and assignment of instructors and/or vendors to conduct internal trainings. Works with and manages approved vendors.
• Reviews training materials from a variety of vendors and ensure that it aligns with the goals of individual programming and training needs.
• Delivers training to employees using a variety of instructional techniques (classroom, one-on-one, eLearning, videos, webinars and other distance learning techniques).
• Monitors and evaluates training programs to measure results and ensure they are current and effective. Evaluates the success of initiatives against training objectives. Reports on training initiatives and results/outcomes.
• Gathers and analyzes data and trends to aid management in making decisions. Makes recommendations to improve training and operational effectiveness.
• Manages the Learning Management System.
• Oversees professional development programs such as monitoring costs, scheduling classes, setting up systems and equipment, and coordinating enrollment.
• Develops and maintains organizational communications and marketing such as intranet sites and email bulletins.
• Conducts New Hire Orientation and manages the Onboarding Process.
• Assist with the coordination of the Associate Advisor and Mentoring Programs.
• Demonstrates the Firm’s Values and promotes employee engagement.
• Adheres to all Firm policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Talent Management and Diversity & Inclusion, the Chief HR Officer, or the Chief Information Officer.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in a learning and development, performance management role, or related HR discipline. Experience working in a law firm or professional services firm preferred.
• Bachelors’ Degree in Human Resources, Education, Organizational Psychology, Business Management, or related field.
• The following certification is a plus:
• Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP)
• SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
• Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Sr. Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
• Working knowledge of adult learning methodologies and generational tendencies. Uses a variety of teaching techniques and adapt their methods to meet the needs of particular groups.
• Excellent written communication and public speaking skills. Communicates information clearly and facilitates learning by diverse audiences using a variety of teaching techniques and adapting methods to meet the needs of particular groups.
• Substantial analytical, evaluative, statistical examination, and problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Excellent time management skills and demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload and consistently meet deadlines.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with employees, attorneys, teams, instructors, and vendors.
• Highly self-motivated and self-directed. Works independently with minimal supervision. Overcomes major obstacles and recognizes when issues should be escalated. Demonstrates independent judgment and uses discretion.
• Exhibits initiative and innovative thinking and drives best practices. Demonstrates attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including creating and utilizing presentations and spreadsheets as well as HR applications and Learning Management Systems.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Parker Poe, 620 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America