Building Inspector - EDS - Building Inspections
The Building Inspector is responsible for the conducting of building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical, as well as masonry and framing inspections to ensure compliance with code and ordinance requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Inspects electrical, plumbing, gas and mechanical systems and construction quality at regular intervals during the construction process including renovation or repair of buildings for compliance with codes and applicable regulations as well as zoning and flood plain regulations.
- Consults with the public, contractors, subcontractors and owners in all phases of building construction or renovation.
- Assists citizens with complaints or requests for information involving zoning, construction or inspection issues; performs permitting duties when necessary.
- Maintains records of all phases of inspections including related correspondence and inspection results.
- Prepares detailed and accurate project reports and regular department or special reports as required; observes conditions and issues notices of correction and related violations.
- Conducts visual surveys of the Town in order to identify any unauthorized construction, renovation or repair activity.
- Performs field damage assessment inspections in response to natural disasters as part of the Town’s response team.
- Maintains certification and license requirements through continuing education programs.
- Maintains International Code Council (ICC) and state continuing education requirements to stay abreast of current regulations, techniques and practices.
- Performs other related assigned duties.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- High School diploma and two (2) years prior work experience;
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Licensure with the South Carolina Building Codes Council as G2 or G3 Combination Inspector. New, unlicensed employees will be required to register with the South Carolina Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation as a Provisional Inspector immediately after hire and must complete full licensure as indicated above within the provisional period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of all phases of building and construction trades including plumbing, gas, electric, etc.
- Knowledge of department inspection and permit practices and techniques
- Knowledge of office software (word processing and spread sheet applications).
- Skill in the use of oral and written communication
- Skill in data processing
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and effective manner
- Ability to deal tactfully with disgruntled members of the public
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with department staff, owners, designers, contractors, subcontractors, the public, and other agencies
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, diagrams and blue prints
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $20.44
- South Carolina, USA