Social Media Specialist
We are currently seeking a full-time Social Media Specialist responsible for communicating key strategic messages and helping promote and maintain a favorable public image for Space Center Houston and the Manned Space Flight Education Foundation. The specialist develops and executes strategic communication plans for the center’s social media and other digital platforms in conjunction with the Digital Media Supervisor. The specialist collaborates with the communications team to market center programs, support attendance efforts, encourage philanthropy and sponsorships, project the center as an employer of choice and effectively communicate to visitors in order to promote an excellent visitor experience. The specialist maintains excellent relations with digital media influencers and practitioners at the local, national and international levels. Social Media Specialist implements strategic social media marketing and communications on social platforms and stays abreast of industry trends.
- Develop strategic and proactive social media plans and programs to communicate organization’s key messages, achieve ongoing positive publicity, enhance the brand, market Space Center Houston programs and achieve departmental and organizational goals and objectives. Ensure these plans are aligned closely to Center’s overall communications goals and strategies.
- Implement and track paid social media initiatives such as posts, ads and campaigns. Prepares and communicates metrics to demonstrate return on investment.
- Manage relationships, including negotiations and contracts, with social media influencers (current and new).
- Oversee social media accounts for CEO and collaborate on social content for executive communications.
- Incorporate into these plans and programs a strong content strategy that amplifies organizational messaging through:
- Content that is relevant, specific and appropriate to social media platform;
- Content that is well written, creative and engaging;
- Content that is representative of the overall Communications Team content strategy and the themes determined by the Center’s Content Team;
- Growth of the center’s social media audience;
- Framework to engage and encourage influencers to communicate key messages of the center and foundation and/or take action desired by organization.
- Oversee and execute social media events such as live social streams, social media influencer previews and others as they arise. Represent Space Center Houston at social media events.
- Monitor, update and analyze account profiles such as TripAdvisor, Google Places, Yelp!, GuideStar, Wikipedia and others to ensure accuracy and brand standards.
- Plan and coordinate annual social media/digital editorial calendar based on organization’s program needs and key target audience interests.
- Monitor, analyze and write reports for all campaigns that include key performance indicators, results, key findings, best practices and recommendations; as well as weekly, monthly and annual reports on overall digital programs. Reports should show the value and ROI of the social media programs and advertising campaigns and how they contribute to the success of the organization’s programs and goals.
- Give accurate project timeline projections, acquire approvals and meet deadlines while managing and executing multiple projects and priorities (both independently and working with a team) by using project management systems and advanced organizational skills.
- Use the organization’s resources wisely by acquiring multiple bids from vendors and making recommendations for the best qualified and most cost-efficient vendors.
- Research and stay current with digital-media marketing trends and share information with communications department. Serve as expert advisor on social media strategy to the organization.
- Support, collaborate and back up other communications team members.
- Collaborate with Center’s agency of record, supporting their advertising and branding efforts on behalf of the Center.
- Develop strong relationships and work on mutually beneficial projects with key partners such as convention and visitor bureaus, NASA Visitor Center Consortium members and NASA.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Available to work nights and/or weekends as needed. Some overnight travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in online marketing, marketing, journalism, public relations, communications or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years experience in social media marketing, social content creation, and using online marketing programs to acquire new customers.
- Prefer 3 years of experience handling medium to large social media budgets.
- Expert in successfully managing strategic social media campaigns on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, blogs, and other online platforms.
- Excellent writing skills and experience in writing engaging and creative social media content using AP style.
- Expert with social media analytic and scheduling tools and website analytic tools. Prefer proficiency with Asana, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Facebook Business Manager, YouTube Insights and Twitter Analytics
- High level of professionalism, energy, enthusiasm and collaboration. Able to give and accept constructive criticism. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills in order to interact with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite with experience in Premiere Pro and Photoshop. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Comfortable and able to work with Microsoft Windows-based computers.
- Available to work flexible hours including some weekends and/or nights.
- Photography and video production experience helpful
- Knowledge of graphic design best practices and principles for digital projects.
- Insatiable curiosity for how all things digital work a plus.
- Experience with crisis communications in digital media is a plus.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Houston, TX 77058, USA