Professional, Legal Affairs Attorney
Headquarters Office, 625 State Street, Schenectady, New York, United States of America ● Rochester Office, 220 Alexander Street, Rochester, New York, United States of America ● Tarrytown Office, 303 South Broadway, Tarrytown, New York, United States of America
Friday, February 19, 2021
part of the transformation at MVP Health Care®. MVP Health Care is a
nationally-recognized, regional not-for-profit health insurer. We care for
more than 700,000 members across New York and Vermont and are powered by the
ideas and energy of more than 1,700 employees. We employ talented
people with diverse backgrounds and experience—tech people, numbers
people, even people people—to
make health insurance more convenient, more supportive, and more personal. If
you’re ready to join a thriving, mission-driven company where you can create
your own opportunities—it’s time to make a healthy career move to MVP.
We have two opportunities to join our Legal team!
Under the direction of the Managing Counsel, provides legal advice and business counsel to the Company’s operational units in a variety of subject areas, as assigned; applies sophisticated legal concepts and business principles in accordance with company and departmental objectives to solve challenging issues in practical ways; balances and prioritizes multiple projects for timely completion; possesses high aptitude for legal analysis, critical thinking and problem solving and provides legal advice and expertise to management regarding State, Federal, local, or other laws that could impact the organization.
In the first position, Counsel will focus on MVP’s product offerings and practice areas are expected to include:
• Commercial plan design (e.g., self-funded plans/ERISA; commercial products)
• Sales operations support (e.g., sales, marketing, broker relations)
• Support related to actuarial and underwriting functions
In the second position, Counsel will focus on MVP’s participating provider network and practice areas are expected to include:
• Provider credentialing
• Provider relations (e.g., payment protocols; telemedicine; integrated health; government programs)
• Value based payment arrangements
Juris Doctor Degree with Admission to New York State Bar required.
At least three years of attorney experience (or at least five years of relevant practice experience, such as in contracting, litigation, corporate law). Experience working in a highly regulated sector would be desirable as well.
Preferred Experience: Experience in managed care, health insurance, and/or health care
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Keen intellect and the ability to learn quickly
• Understanding of the connection between legal and operational issues within corporate setting and the marketplace
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to regulatory compliance issues
• Ability to work independently and seek guidance when appropriate
• Detail and deadline oriented
• Intermediate computer skills, specifically with respect to the Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel)
• Desire to work in a fast-paced and collaborative atmosphere
• Lexis software application experience
• Excellent academic background and demonstrated skills and experience in counseling clients, legal research and analysis, oral and written advocacy, and creative problem solving
MVP Health Care is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (PDF). We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis, e.g., Pay Transparency (PDF), protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Any person with a disability needing special accommodations to the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.