Vivarium Technical Services Supervisor
Under the general supervision of the Vivarium Manager, the Vivarium Technical Services Supervisor is responsible for supervision of the activities of tech services personnel. Develops, coordinates and provides training for animal care staff, scientists, and others who may be exposed to laboratory animals. Training provided may include topics such as biology, care, bio-methodologies and special techniques for a variety of laboratory animals and may be provided via web, didactic, and hands-on methods. Also, responsible for managing training documentation and supporting compliance with training mandates. The ability to understand various learning styles and adapt training accordingly, have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to provide strategic direction in developing an outstanding training program for our animal care and research staff.
Able to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all activities required for technical training of personnel working with laboratory animals.
- Be familiar with all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and train technical staff to these standards.
- Ensure that each employee is trained in the current SOPs required of their position.
- Assist the Manager to develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assist in the development of a training plan for each position in the vivarium.
- Work with the Director and Manager to identify and prioritize topics for technical training.
- Work with the Director and Manager to assess protocol processes and post-compliance activities.
- Responsible for the development of a program to evaluate employees throughout the training process.
- Conduct training for employees who are newly hired, have changed job description, and provide special targeted training to correct deficiencies.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of a tracking database(s) of all training received by each employee.
- Responsibility for AALAS certification preparatory training for employees.
- Draft, review, and revise technical training manuals to ensure all procedures agree with SOPs.
- Ensure that departmental equipment used for training is maintained in good working condition and that training areas are maintained in a clean and orderly condition.
- Provide and perform other training duties as requested.
- Regularly reviews the Compliance database to ensure new personnel have completed necessary EH&S requirements for Vivarium access prior to notifying Facilities/ Operations department.
Understand and apply relevant regulations, guidelines, and laws regarding the welfare of animals in
- Schedules routine Vivarium training for researchers.
- Oversees the health monitoring program.
- Oversees the sentinel program and ensures protocols are in place.
- Oversees all aspects of technical services and personnel.
- Perform husbandry duties and technical procedures as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- RVT is required
- AALAS certification is required
- ILAM certificate of completion is preferred but not required
- Prior laboratory animal experience (5- 8 years experience working with laboratory animals, performing technical procedures and colony management practices and minimum of 3 years working in a lead or coordinator role)
- Education will be considered for experience
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Ability to exercise diplomacy in interactions with multinational scientific staff
This position requires constant walking, seeing, touching/ feeling, lifting, talking, hearing, reading, writing, communicating, exposure to fumes/ odors/ dust, working in confined areas, potential allergens, and exposure to animals.
- Must be able to work a physically demanding job
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and carry at least 25 lbs.
- Must be able to use a step stool/ ladder to reach objects overhead
- Must have manual dexterity in both hands
- Must be able to bend down and/ or crouch repeatedly throughout the workday
- Must be able to push and pull carts that could potentially weigh 300 lbs.
- Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Ability to read and understand documents such as safety procedures, standard operating
procedures for all cage wash equipment
- Must be able to maintain written records as required by SOP and laws/ regulations
Must be able to work prolonged periods wearing personal protective equipment such as
masks, gloves, lab coat, or scrubs and other apparel as required
- Must be able to stand for prolonged period of times
- Working knowledge to see and identify differences in cage and accessory types
- Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of cages and accessories
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their resume.
- Job Function RS
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA