Research Tech I/II (Benedict)
Research Technician I/II-Benedict
A full-time position for a Research Technician is available immediately at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology, in the Center for Infectious Disease and Vaccine Research, working on high-impact projects investigating various aspects of the innate and adaptive immune response to virus infection. The Research Technician will join the lab of Dr. Chris Benedict, specifically for projects related to studies assessing the in vivo immune response to cytomegalovirus infection. Our research utilizes a variety of mouse and cellular models to dissect specific aspects of CMV-related immunity, and how the virus itself dampens this immunity to establish a lifelong infection in the majority of the world’s population. Successful candidates will join an interdisciplinary group of researchers dedicated to the identification and characterization of immune responses.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Research Technician will assist in performing various studies related to the above described interests of the Benedict lab. The Research Technician will focus largely on performing viral immunological studies in using various techniques, including isolation of immune cells from various tissues, flow cytometry, qPCR and qRT-PCR, microscopic imaging and others.
The Research Technician is also responsible for preparing buffers, solutions, and viral stocks, and is responsible for laboratory administrative duties that include data entry into spreadsheets, ordering/receiving supplies and general lab upkeep. Other duties include installing, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment, as well as organizing and keeping accurate and meticulous records of all reagents in freezers, refrigerators, and liquid nitrogen tanks.
Candidates must have:
- B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry. Previous experience in a cellular/molecular biology laboratory is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic tissue culture techniques.
- Previous experience handling laboratory mice is a strong positive.
- Theoretical knowledge of biology, immunology, cell biology or related field at the college "upper division" level; or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Proven experience using laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, balances, and pipettes.
- Proven experience in accurate record keeping with ability to organize, analyze, and calculate data.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Positive attitude and ability to work as part of a team.
- Must be willing to work with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials.
- Must be willing to work with mice.
Interested applicants please submit the following in a single attachment:
- A brief cover letter* relating how your talents fulfill the criteria for this position
- Your resume/CV
- A minimum of two references (three preferred)
*If your application does not include a cover letter, it will NOT be reviewed.
- Job Function RT
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA