Vivarium Technician I
Under the general supervision of the Vivarium Supervisor, the Animal Technician-I is primarily responsible for maintaining cages and accessories in a clean and sanitary state. Routinely will be responsible for autoclaving cages and accessories for use in the animal rooms. Responsible for maintenance of animal facility cage wash areas in compliance with USDA, NIH, AAALAC and other applicable laws and regulations.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Able to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines.
- Must be able to work an assigned schedule: Monday- Friday, 6:00 am- 2:30 pm or 6:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. or as assigned.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed before or after regular shift, weekends and holidays.
- Clean and sanitize cages and accessories
- Operate and complete daily maintenance of tunnel and rack washer, floor loader and BSL autoclaves, bedding dispenser, water bottle filler and bedding disposal station.
Perform sterilization assessment of caging and equipment
- Complete associated documentation for work areas
Fill clean cages with bedding
Set up units for specialized caging for either sterile or BSL 2 animals
Wash and sterilize water bottles and fill with acidified/ non-acidified water
Sweep, mop and disinfect floors in washrooms, halls and support areas
Facility sanitation responsibilities include: disinfecting walls, ceilings and other surfaces on a scheduled basis
- Clean and sanitize support equipment
- Euthanize animals in accordance with AVMA guidelines and prepare carcasses for disposal
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- AALAS certification at the ALAT level is preferred but not required
- Prior laboratory animal experience a plus but not required
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices would be beneficial
Ability to exercise diplomacy in interactions with multinational scientific staff
This position requires constant walking, seeing, touching/ feeling, lifting, talking, hearing, reading, writing, communicating, exposure to fumes/ odors/ dust, working in confined areas, potential allergens, and exposure to animals.
- Must be able to work a physically demanding job
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and carry at least 25 lbs.
- Must be able to use a step stool/ ladder to reach objects overhead
Must have manual dexterity in both hands
Must be able to bend down and/ or crouch repeatedly throughout the workday
Must be able to push and pull carts that could potentially weigh 300 lbs.
Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through
Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Ability to read and understand documents such as safety procedures, standard operating procedures for all cage wash equipment
Must be able to maintain written records as required by SOP and laws/ regulations
Must be able to work prolonged periods wearing personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, lab coat, or scrubs and other apparel as required
Must not be allergic to animals or their bedding or able to work with appropriate accommodations
Must be able to stand for prolonged period of times
Working knowledge to see and identify differences in cage and accessory types
Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of cages and accessories
Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of washroom and equipment
- Job Function RS
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA