9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA Req #149
Monday, October 19, 2020
The Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) Core Facility at LJI is looking for a part-time, Monday-Thursday, detail oriented Lab Technician to perform a saliva-based COVID-screening qPCR assay. The successful candidate will deliver high quality data for the Institute’s Occupational Health Initiative Screening Program. The screening technician is responsible for maintaining proper aseptic techniques, proper handling of biological hazards, refined pipetting technique, and efficient time management. Additional responsibilities include working with a core team of technicians in the operation and maintenance of equipment, including integrated robotics platforms.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Attention to detail and ability to perform assay in a reliable and reproducible manner
- Excellent communication skills and ability to multi-task
- Skilled pipetting technique and experience with labware handling
- Aseptic techniques when handling saliva samples
- Working knowledge of qPCR assays (primers, fluorescent probes, etc.)
- Maintain detailed daily records in well-kept online database (primarily Google Sheets/ Excel based)
- Use and maintenance of automated liquid handlers in a sterile environment
- Use of proper PPE usage including “gowning up” and proper removal of PPE, comfortable working in a BSL2+ environment, wearing N95 mask for extended periods of time
- Comfortable working with human saliva samples, comfortable/able to work in environment with animals (BSL2 space requirement, contact with animals not direct job requirement)
- The screening tech will take extra precaution in preparing reagents and samples for testing and processing via automated systems in accordance with the core’s established SOP’s
- Knowledge of high throughput screening methodologies. Experience with assays used in screening
- Ability to write and validate assay protocols and ability to advise users on assay development
- Be willing to foster and maintain collaborative relationships within the Institute.
- Be aware of and enthusiastic about incorporating future technology into current and future scientific projects and endeavors.
- Bachelor’s degree in laboratory studies or equivalent science related studies preferred (molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field)
About La Jolla Institute for Immunology
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal, and in 2013, the Best Place to Work in Academia worldwide (The Scientist). The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.
- Job Function RA
- Pay Type Hourly
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA