Junior Ontologist - Data Integration and Standardization
The Peters Lab at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology is currently looking for someone with a strong background in biology and an eye for detail to join their team. This new position will be remote, with the aim of bringing the role on-site when normal working conditions resume.
In this entry-level role, you will ensure that data is annotated in a consistent manner to allow for cross-dataset integration across multiple projects. These projects include several within infectious disease research, namely:
- Human Immunology Project Consortium (HIPC)
- Immune Epitope Database (IEDB)
- Computational Modeling of Immunity - Pertussis Boost (CMI-PB) (NEW, website in development)
For each of these projects, we want to utilize a consistent vocabulary to represent the data within the project and beyond. To ensure these vocabularies meet our needs, we have contributed to the development of community-based ontologies developed under the Open Biological and Biomedical Ontology (OBO) umbrella, such as Ontology for Biomedical Investigations (OBI), the Cell Ontology and Disease Ontology. Each of these provides a hierarchical, logically defined set of terms that can be used to annotate data in a semantic-web format that allows for graph-based queries, consistency checking, and inference.
The tasks for this position are to:
- Join project team meetings and identify needs for term requests and modifications
- Submit and shepherd term requests to OBO ontologies using Github issue trackers that require reading and condensing biomedical literature
- Familiarize and master existing tools for ontology engineering, such as ROBOT, to perform advanced ontology manipulation, quality control, and inconsistency detection
- Use the annotated datasets to perform cross-dataset queries and advanced analysis to derive new biological hypothesis
- Joy in paying attention to detail and scientific accuracy
- An interest in the development of biological ontologies to standardize language and terminology across projects
- Background in biomedical research, and the ability to read and grasp literature from a new knowledge domain quickly
- Comfortable with creating, running and modifying python and R scripts to perform data analysis, as well as running scripts in a Linux, command line environment
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please upload your cover letter and resume in a single document here. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Related Principle Investigator Publications: Dr. Bjoern Peters & IEDB on Google Scholar
- Job Function RA
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA