Sports Reporter Assistant
The Wisconsin State Journal is seeking a part-time Sports Reporter Assistant. If you're a team player and interested in a career in sports journalism, this is the position for you!
- This position requires work inside our office on Fish Hatchery Road.
- The successful candidate will be trained to put together our Scoreboard page two nights per week (more during vacation fill-ins).
- The successful candidate also will spend two four-hour shifts per week in the office taking high school sports scores, statistics and highlights over the phone, fax and email. Some event coverage and/or feature writing will be offered, on a limited basis.
- Computer-based data entry and management is a big part of the job; typing, grammar and spelling skills are vital.
- Applicants with demonstrable familiarity with Adobe InDesign/InCopy and familiarity with our product (specifically, our Scoreboard page) are preferred.
- Understanding of professional and college sports leagues and their statistics, and local/high school sports teams, leagues, statistics and terminology, is necessary.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends. Scoreboard shifts run from 6 p.m. to midnight, generally Sunday and Monday nights. Score-taking shifts run from 6-10pm or 7-11pm. Friday night shifts are required every week through the fall and winter sports seasons.
- Applicants with a valid driver's license, a good driving record and their own personal vehicle are preferred.
- Candidates residing in the Madison, WI area are preferred.
This is a part-time, hourly role working an average of 20 hours per week. Apply online at www.madison.com/workhere
Capital Newspapers offers:
- Competitive compensation starting at $12 an hour.
- Free print subscription to the Wisconsin State Journal and free digital subscription to Madison.com for all employees.
Capital Newspapers is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining a workforce that accurately reflects our audience and expands our voice. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment background and drug screenings apply
- Job Family News
- Pay Type Hourly
- Madison, WI, USA