City Creek, Salt Lake City, UT, USA Req #32
Friday, February 12, 2021
Suburban Land Reserve transitions and entitles agricultural land.
Suburban Land Reserve (SLR) is the for-profit land group for the fund of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Building on more than 50 years of experience, SLR has established a reputation for excellence in the United States. Unique in the industry, SLR’s investment activities span the development spectrum and include transitioning agricultural land, development, transactions, asset management, and private, non-traded REIT investments.
Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, SLR offers a healthy work-life balance with quick access to outdoor recreation and many other activities. With company growth accelerating, so too have employment and long-term career opportunities. Our connection to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provides a faith-based cultural environment fostering high standards of conduct and excellence in all that we do. Our values define the working environment we strive to create—collaborative, supportive, inclusive, and empowering.
The Senior Accountant provides accounting support and performs financial analysis responsibilities for the Land division. This role develops strong working relationships with the Vice Presidents, asset managers, and others in the division. Information provided by this position will contribute these team members accomplishing their work accurate, effectively and in accordance with Company policies and approved procedures.
The Senior Accountant prepares, analyzes, and reviews financial statements and budgets. The role performs accounting functions, prepares management reports and performs internal control reviews. Customers, including operational and financial managers, will receive information from the Senior Accountant that will support them in conducting the business and financial affairs of the Land division in a legal and professional manner.
• Create journal entries and other recurring adjustments, providing efficient backup including various real estate documentation.
• Consolidate accounting information for management creating financial statements and summaries.
• Create and process capital requests using proper cost coding and input of contracts to ensure compliance to internal policies.
• Process Accounts Payable and Receivable procedures including 1099s, insurance certificates and liens. Adhere to lien laws of various states.
• Reconcile monthly bank statements and general ledger accounts. Resolve outstanding items.
• Maintain fixed asset schedule in FAS module.
• Create and process wire and ACH transactions.
• File State Use Taxes and maintain business licensing. File Owner Association federal and state income tax.
• Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Fulfill year-end tasks as provided.
• Support Auditing process by providing answers and documentation.
• Perform special projects as needed with minimal supervision.
• Forecast quarterly budget estimates and provide supporting explanations for significant increase/decrease.
• Work between related entities to overcome challenges and streamline processes.
• Assist Asset Managers in creating and maintaining operation and capital budgets. Support in evaluating and explaining variances.
• Assist Asset Managers in land lease transactions by helping maintain insurance certificates, renewal dates and payments.
• Assist Asset Managers in creating internal land valuations at year-end by providing historical data and ensuring current cost analysis is correct.
• Work closely with Asset Managers to properly maintain various management schedules including impact fee credits and post-closing participation options.
• Maintain real estate transaction and acreage logs in management reports and accounting software.
• Provide general ledger analysis when processing Federal and State Tax returns.
• Attend team meetings as requested by Controller, providing analysis and recommendations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field required. CPA or CMA preferred.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in accounting, preferably in the Real Estate industry.
• Strong understanding of accounting principles and relevant accounting systems.
• Good verbal and written communication skills. Proven history of working well with people in various positions including cross department and management.
• Ability to understand complex integrated business and financial systems and operations.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and execute a wide range of assignments.
• Accuracy and attention to detail—fastidious.
• Ability to prioritize assignments to meet numerous deadlines.
• Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills.
Suburan Land Reserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, sex, or age and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
- Job Family SLR
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- City Creek, Salt Lake City, UT, USA