Imagine! is a nonprofit with a goal of helping people aspire to, and achieve, a fulfilling life of new possibilities by providing support services to individuals with developmental and cognitive disabilities. We support Boulder and Broomfield counties.
"Our mission is creating a world of opportunity for all abilities."
Job Title: Community Counselor (Lafayette, CO)
Department: Community Services
Pay rate: $15.00/hour
FLSA: Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week Monday-Friday
Date: December 10, 2020
Purpose of Position- Promotes the heath and welfare of participants/ clients. Engages in skilled interaction with participants who require therapeutic supports, thus enabling them to access and utilize their community and build on skills. Acts in accordance with Community Services mission and guidelines as well as Individual Plans. Monitors and reports on data to ensure compliance with all applicable regulating agencies. Maintains professional relationships with participants as well as members of treatment teams.
1. Promotes the health, safety, and welfare of the participants.
- Ensures health and safety requirements set forth by Community Services guidelines as well as all regulating agencies. This includes appropriate services and supports, such as positive instruction, assistance with personal hygiene, toileting, meals, etc.
- Engages in skilled interaction with participants who require therapeutic supports to replace aggressive or socially inappropriate behavior.
- Assists participants in accessing and utilizing their community, by transporting them safely to recreational facilities or other community-based sites for activities, utilizing company cars, buses, walking, etc.
- Learns and consistently practices effective teaching skills, working with Therapeutic and Coordinating team as necessary.
2. Acts in accordance with Community Services policies, mission, and the Individual Plans.
- Supports and implements activities according to Community Services guidelines, in the context of activity protocols and plans, and in the context of a nurturing, stable environment.
- Implements, monitors, and reports on consumers’ Individual Plans.
- Completes documentation and tracking timely and accurately.
- Communicates effectively with consumers, guardians and family members, staff, and all other members of consumers’ treatment team. This includes checking email, voicemail, and managing phone calls regularly before and during each shift.
3. Monitors and reports on data to ensure compliance with all applicable guidelines and regulations, including Imagine! Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures quality service delivery, meeting the guidelines set forth in Community Services quality standards, as well as follows schedules, information sheets, and plans.
- Instructs in compliance with all applicable Federal, State, County and Municipal statutes, regulations, and Imagine! policies and procedures.
- Completes all required training, including annual refreshers, in the appropriate timeframe.
- Reports all behavioral incidents, medical emergencies, and/or significant changes in medical condition to supervisor, and completes all related paperwork in a timely manner.
- Implement Individual Treatment/Behavior Plans developed by Behavior Therapists and/or BCBAs
- Respond appropriately to client’s challenging behaviorsand implements behavior intervention strategies as directed by the Behavior Therapist or BCBA
- Collect data when working with some individuals
- Proactively communicate any questions or concerns to the Behavior Therapist or BCBA
- Supports Community Services mission in the context of both individual and collaborative work.
- Actively participates in staff meetings, workshops, in-services, discussions, etc.
- Maintains and cares for Imagine!’s property, including supplies, vehicles, etc., being mindful of safety and cleanliness.
- Represents Community Services in meetings and committees, as well as in promoting and marketing, as requested.
- Promotes team morale by being positive and professional.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
· Demonstrated skill in working with people with developmental disabilities, preferably in a community-based setting.
· Demonstrated ability to engage in skilled interaction with people who require therapeutic supports.
· Effective written and verbal communication skills with individuals and groups at all professional levels.
· Effective and creative negotiator and problem solver.
· Ability to work independently- traveling and working in the community.
· Ability to work effectively with various technology including word processing software, internet based databases, assistive technology, etc.
· Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to meet Imagine! driving requirements.
· This position requires regular use of a personal mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· 2 years of college preferred.
· Ability and willingness to successfully complete required training curriculum. This includes developing an understanding of Community Services structure, services, philosophy, as well as community resources, etc.
2 years of experience preferred.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
· Evening and weekend work may be required.
· Ability to lift 50 pounds.
· Ability to drive a mini van.
· Ability to push wheelchairs and to lift and transfer patients as related to toileting, diaper changing, and other health and activity related needs.
· Effective with shifting roles, responsibilities, and expectations in a changing environment.
· Willingness and ability to respond to emergency situations as they arise.
· Work is performed in a variety of settings including office, outside, and in-home.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Lafayette, CO, USA