Scientist IV – Scientific Computing
Located in Malibu, California, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
HRL Laboratories is seeking a researcher with expertise in scientific computing to help develop emerging quantum information technologies. In this role, you will develop, maintain, and utilize computational physics software for simulating novel semiconductor devices such as quantum-dot spin qubits. You will analyze and implement numerical algorithms and multiscale physics methodologies to compute high-accuracy, computationally efficient solutions of quantum mechanical and electromagnetic problems. You will work closely with a world-class team of scientists and engineers, requiring you to effectively present ideas and results in technical presentations and to write technical papers, reports, and proposals.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or related fields, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- U.S. citizenship is required. Active security clearance or ability to apply for security clearance.
- Expertise in C++ and Python; experience developing complex scientific codes for applications such as quantum chemistry, electronic structure, quantum transport, Monte Carlo simulations, or multiscale physics modeling.
- In-depth understanding of high performance computing, numerical algorithms, and established solver libraries for sparse matrices, ordinary and partial differential equations, and other common types of problems in scientific computing.
- Familiarity with principles of quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and electromagnetism.
- Experience with Linux system administration, cluster management, and distributed resource managers like Slurm and PBS.
Essential Physical/Mental Requirements:
- Ability to spend extended periods of time at a computer monitor. Excellent problem solving skills. Ability and willingness to travel. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Salary
- Malibu, CA, USA