Scientist IV Semiconductor Quantum Device Physics – Theory
Located in Malibu, California, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
HRL Laboratories is seeking a researcher with expertise in the theory of solid-state materials and devices to help develop emerging quantum information technologies. In this role, you will construct realistic physical models and numerical simulations to describe novel semiconductor-based devices such as quantum-dot spin qubits. You will work closely with a world-class team of scientists and engineers, providing theoretical input to device design, fabrication, and experimental analysis.
- Develop microscopic models of semiconductor heterostructure physics relevant to spin qubit operation and apply results to design devices and explain experiments.
- Develop and use numerical simulation tools to model the electronic structure, quantum transport, and other key characteristics of solid-state quantum devices.
- Effectively present results in technical presentations and collaborate with colleagues in a fast-paced heterogeneous team environment.
- Contribute to research reviews, proposals, and technical report writing.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, or related fields.
- U.S. citizenship is required. Active security clearance or ability to apply for security clearance.
- Expertise in fundamental theory and computational modeling of the electronic, optical, thermal, and magnetic properties of solid-state materials and devices, particularly semiconductor heterostructures.
- Proficiency in C++ and Python. Experience with commercial multiphysics simulation software.
- Knowledge of numerical analysis and scientific computing techniques.
- Detailed understanding of semiconductor fabrication and characterization techniques, such as epitaxial growth, lithography, electrical characterization, optical spectroscopy, and/or microscopy.
- Direct experience working in close collaboration with experimental materials and device development groups.
Essential Physical/Mental Requirements:
Ability to spend extended periods of time at a computer monitor. Excellent problem solving skills and written and verbal communication skills. Ability and willingness to travel.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Salary
- Malibu, CA, USA