Located in Malibu, California, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
Seeking an experienced Patent Agent/Patent Counsel to join HRL’s Legal team. The candidate must have a strong understanding of U.S. and foreign patent systems, including patent filing and prosecution processes. They will lead the evaluation of inventions, manage outside counsel in the preparation of patent applications and office action responses, and analyze prior art to determine the patentable scope of the inventions.
The candidate may prepare and file provisional applications, and may also draft non-provisional patent applications and office action responses, on an as-needed basis. While the focus will be on patent work, the candidate will work on other aspects of IP, such as patent and data rights in Government contracts, providing mentorship and training on IP issues, and performing administrative tasks, such as generating status reports and reviewing invoices.
The candidate must be motivated, enthusiastic, professional, and committed to working as a team player with individuals throughout the organization, with a special emphasis on our engineering and research organizations. The candidate must have a strong attention to detail and work independently and efficiently. Communication skills to interact effectively with internal stakeholders (e.g., research and development, business development, and management) are essential. The candidate must bring business judgment and creativity to their daily role, lead with a service mindset, collaborate with integrity, and thrive in a fast-paced team environment.
- Manage outside counsel in the preparation of patent applications and office action responses
- Draft and prosecute patent applications on an as-needed basis
- Analyze new innovation disclosures and meet with scientists
- Provide counseling on patent and related IP matters to technical staff
- Lead Patent Committee meetings
- Present tutorials to the Company about intellectual property
- Work closely with docketing support staff
- BS degree in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry or related technical fields. An advanced technical degree will be a plus; registration to practice before the USPTO required; for patent counsel, JD degree required, admittance to practice in California preferred
- 5+ years law firm and/or in-house patent prosecution and portfolio development experience for technology companies
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing engineer or scientist preferable
- Skill in identifying patentable subject matter, patent application preparation, patent prosecution, patent portfolio management, and patent analysis. Must also understand good patent application drafting and prosecution techniques
- Demonstrated ability to grasp scientific and technical concepts quickly
- Ability to collaborate, work independently, and balance competing priorities with a high level of professionalism, along with the ability to reprioritize quickly and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with Government contracting preferable
- Experience with export compliance preferable
- Experience with licensing preferable
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; ability to provide IP advice in a clear, concise manner, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- U.S. Citizenship and ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance required.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Salary
- Malibu, CA, USA