Senior Software Engineer - Data and Monitoring Engineer
Located in Malibu, California, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
For more than 60 years, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art. We are looking for a senior software engineer to help us develop the future of quantum information technologies. Scientists and engineers at HRL use our quantum software development kit everyday to better operate, understand, and advance our devices.
As a senior software engineer in the Internal Tools group you will be responsible for building tools to collect logs and metrics from various hardware and software components of our quantum infrastructure; examples include making key data searchable, building endpoint monitoring into existing APIs, and maintaining the monitoring software stack across multiple enterprise networks. You will operate as part of a cross-functional team (IT, Physicists, Software Engineers, Data Scientists, Industrial Technicians, etc) and will often be the main link between otherwise disparate groups. This role is high-impact with high visibility, and the services you build and maintain will be an essential part of the function of the Quantum Software team.
- Build and maintain infrastructure for scraping logs, capturing metrics, enriching/processing data, and sending it to Elasticsearch
- Build endpoint monitoring into APIs
- Profile and tune Elasticsearch deployment to maintain performance
- Develop internal tools written in Python and Golang as well as various shell-scripting languages (batch, powershell, and bash)
- Develop procedures and standards for archival and backup of data stores
- Work with developers and end-users to build queries, dashboards, and reports to support business objectives
- Work with data scientists and engineers to develop and implement anomaly detection routines and machine-learning algorithms
- Maintain a high level of industry knowledge and best practices; stay abreast of new tooling options; provide recommendations for enhancing, upgrading, deprecating monitoring stack as appropriate
- 7+ years relevant software engineering experience.
- Demonstrated expertise with Elasticsearch ELK stack
- Familiarity with medium- to high-volume logging, syslog, and its associated services
- Experience writing SQL queries
- Experience writing shell scripts
- Solid understanding of core computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and computer architectures
- Basic familiarity with statistics and data science
- Strong communication skills; ability to write and maintain comprehensive, readable documentation
- U.S. citizenship; active security clearance or ability to obtain one.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Salary
- Malibu, CA, USA