Production - Meat Grinder
Join our Team as we Grow Together! As the largest independent wholesale food distributor in the U.S., with 15 distribution centers from coast-to-coast, Harvest Sherwood is an essential and critical infrastructure business. We buy, sell and deliver fresh, high quality protein products and other foods to over 6,000 retail and foodservice customers. As a trusted partner and value-added link between our suppliers and customers, we meet local needs of the communities we serve reliably and frequently on a national scale.
We are One diverse Team helping our customer and vendor partners capture value and win in an increasingly dynamic environment. During the COVID-19 pandemic we have continued to operate Safely and Efficiently, and we live our other shared values every day. Trust and Integrity is the foundation of our work culture. We are Growing Together through Teamwork and Respect. We are Loyal and Committed to each other and every day we strive to do our best work with a Positive Mindset. If you share these values, we invite you to join our Team.
Harvest Sherwood is a great place to work where we can all develop and Grow Together by seizing opportunities, learning new skills, and taking on greater responsibility. We encourage you to bring your talent and effort to Harvest Sherwood and contribute to our shared success, while having fun supporting each other, serving our customers, and creating value for them, our vendors and investors, and strengthening the local communities in which we operate.
The Meat Grinding Associate is responsible for processing and packaging fresh ground meats in the grinding area.
The Meat Grinding Associate will be assigned duties, based on organizational needs and priorities.
- Must be proficient in handling a knife, basic meat trimming skills, and have a full understanding of how product yield works in the grinding department
- Accurately cut to trim and yield specifications as specified by information provided by cut tickets – for grinding this includes fat-to-lean percentages and patty sizes
- Properly label all products and equipment to conform to all legal and safety regulations
- Properly and accurately record all necessary data to produce assigned cutting yield tests
- Maintain work areas in compliance with U.S.D.A. guidelines
- Assemble and tear down any equipment in work area at the beginning and/or end of your shift, including calling out to supervisor any damaged or non-working equipment
- Properly clean, store and maintain all knives, scales, etc. assigned to you
- Complete other duties as assigned as requested by supervisor
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Perform other tasks as needed
Qualifications and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently lift, push or move product that weighs from 1 up to 80 pounds
- Must be able to perform job functions within varied temperatures within the warehouse and freezer
- Repetitive motion of upper body and limbs, walking, and prolonged standing
- Working around machinery with moving parts; sharp instruments, working around moving objects or vehicles; working in close proximity to others
- Working in a refrigerated environment (30-40 degrees)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Required to wear appropriate safety protection at all times
- Prior experience with meat (1+ years or more)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift between 1 – 80 lbs.
- Excellent organizational, multi-task and communication skills
- Ability to adjust to sudden changes in customer demands or operational goals
- Availability to work weekends and a flexible schedule
- Interacts well with others and a good team player
Harvest-Sherwood is committed to offering competitive benefits to our employees and their dependents, including paid vacation, health insurances, and a 401K plan!
*We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Warehouse
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hamilton Meats, 3515 Main Street, Chula Vista, California, United States of America