Chief Strategy & Business Development Officer
The Chief Strategy & Business Development Officer is responsible for the overall management and leadership of strategic planning and the development of new products, new ventures and transformative initiatives for Group Health Cooperative of South-Central Wisconsin (GHC-SCW). Additionally, the incumbent provides direction, management, and leadership for all external relations functions including sales, provider contracting and relations, marketing, communications, advertising, public relations, media relations, market research and business intelligence, pricing and underwriting, legislative monitoring, government relations and customer service. This is a Senior Leadership position that requires strategic expertise, excellent communication and organizational skills, a demonstrated innovative approach to problem resolution, exceptional interpersonal skills and a strong ability to work collaboratively across GHC-SCW departments. The Chief Strategy & Business Development Officer serves under the general guidance, direction, and supervision of the President and Chief Executive Officer.
The incumbent knows and abides by all Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin organizational and departmental policies, sets personal standards and strives for high quality work in completing assignments, performs job duties in a timely manner, and represents the organization externally in a positive manner. The incumbent understands our Mission, Vision and Common Values (stated below) and is committed to promote these values in behavior and attitude.
Our Mission Statement: To provide accessible, comprehensive, high quality healthcare and outstanding service in an efficient and personalized manner to persons in the GHC-SCW service area.
Our Vision: To be a leader among HMO’s in providing high-quality medical care, impeccable service and competitive benefit levels and premium rates.
Our Common Values:
- Patient Centered: When health insurers and health care providers are brought together under one roof, we are better together. Our care team model focuses on supporting the needs of our patients/members and providing the best in safe, high quality coordinated health care. Members and their providers participate in making meaningful decisions that lead to better outcomes.
- Quality Driven: When members and their providers each participate meaningfully in the decisions that lead to better health care, we are better together. GHC-SCW continues its tradition of providing proactive health promotion and disease management outreach to our members to consistently achieve high quality health care accreditation.
- Innovation: When we work to lift each other up, show appreciation and collaborate in the best interests of the member, we are better together. GHC-SCW has made innovative advancements which include the implementation of an electronic medical records system (EMR) and GHC-SCW MyChartSM, access to innovative Complementary Medicine benefits and Wellness reimbursement services.
- Community Involved: When we join with our community to further the causes for which we share a common concern, we are better together. We are proud to promote programs that strengthen lives, and make our community a safer, stronger and healthier place to live and grow. GHC-SCW employees share their time and talent; and we recognize that the value of what we give is also what we gain – for our employees, our members and our community.
- Not for Profit Cooperative: When we share a common purpose, a common voice and a common vision, we are better together. We use our surpluses to improve clinics, enhance health care benefits and give back to the community. Our members, not our profits, are our priority. We have a unique “cooperative” governance structure which works directly for our members.
GHC-SCW is committed to fostering a caring and compassionate environment while ensuring that individual differences are valued. GHC-SCW is a quality driven cooperative built on collaboration, community involvement, innovation, and belonging. It is essential that all employees, members, and patients feel secure and welcome, that the opinions and contributions of all individuals are respected and that all voices are heard.
Healthcare is a human right.
In treating all people with dignity and respect.
There is strength in diversity.
Equity celebrates our humanity.
We are better together.
Job Specific Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business or relevant field. Master’s Degree in Health Administration, Business Administration, Marketing or a related field is strongly preferred; extensive job- related experience may be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of strategic planning, organizational development, marketing, sales, and/or public affairs including at least five (5) years management level experience required. At least five (5) years relevant experience in a health care, health insurance or HMO setting required. Knowledge of insurance pricing, insurance product design and development, risk selection, and provider contracting principles.
- Knowledge and general management skills in a combination of strategic planning, Innovation, health care delivery, marketing, corporate finance, and prepaid programs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead system wide initiatives, interacting across multiple departments.
- Effective analytical ability in order to develop and analyze options, recommend solutions to and solve complex issues.
- Strong operational skills with the ability to use initiative and judgment, and act decisively.
- Ability to implement change in a positive and forward- thinking manner.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, common values, and service standards of GHC-SCW.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality and excellence.
- Extensive knowledge, abilities and general management skills in a combination of sales management, market research, negotiation, public relations/affairs, employee benefits and labor/union benefits relations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision and administration as applied to the management of personnel. Good supervisory skills required with ability to provide leadership to staff and develop staff competencies and talents.
- Ability to have creativity and vision while dealing with multiple, simultaneous projects is required.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer programs such as Microsoft Office and programs/systems utilized in marketing and sales activities.
- Effective communication skills both in verbal and written presentation with a communication style that fosters openness, trust, credibility, and understanding. Effective listening skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer services skills required Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Ability to work cooperatively, sensitively, and tactfully, and maintain composure and professionalism with all levels of staff and the public required.
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and work with diverse populations.
- Ability to maintain organizational, proprietary, personnel- related and patient confidentiality required. Knowledge of or ability to learn HIPAA privacy requirements. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to effect collaborative alliances and promote and foster teamwork among the Senior Leadership team; and ability to mentor, provide leadership and teamwork among department managers and supervisors.
- Ability to prioritize and organize a diverse workload required.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Driver license with a good driving record. Ability to provide own transportation to travel between sites as required.
- Ability to stand and sit intermittently required.
- Ability to see at near, mid and far range required.
- Ability to speak and hear in person and on the telephone required.
- Pay Type Salary
- Administration - 1265 John Q. Hammons Drive, 1265 John Q. Hammons Dr. , Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America