Summer Internships – Reporting
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Summer Internships – Reporting
The Cape Cod Times/capecodtimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking two 10-week Summer Interns to participate in our Internship Program. One intern will work in the Sports Department and the other in the Features Department.
This paid internship program gives college students an opportunity to work in newsroom during the summer. We’re seeking students who are looking for a professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel at it.
The program will include extensive one-on-one coaching and mentoring, but students are expected to handle stories independently and effectively in a 24/7 deadline-driven environment.
The internship pays $13.50 per hour.
- Tackle daily reporting assignments that could include reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, social media, research and fact checking, database work, investigative work, audio and video editing and visual journalism.
- Gather information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories, although not necessarily at the skills level of a spot-news reporter.
- Interview subjects in person, over the telephone or via computer terminals, and in writing.
- Travel quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Research written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately report information, either orally or electronically, for publication.
- Help in the production of photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled in a journalism program at a college or university. Students must have completed one year of college. Preference given to more advanced students. Those who have completed undergraduate work or are in graduate programs also are accepted.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Solid fact checking and reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- ·If you are selected for a driving role, these positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Hiring Rate $13.50
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
- Hyannis Port, Barnstable, MA, USA