Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Do you value the impact of community journalism? Do you crave the chance to shape news coverage? Would you relish the challenge of a fast-paced newsroom with plenty of breaking news and rich opportunities for impactful enterprise and watchdog work? Can you provide encouragement and guidance that helps reporters do their best work?
The Desert Sun/desertsun.com, the leading news organization in Southern California’s Coachella Valley and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a news editor. Responsibilities of the position include being a primary editor for reporters covering local government, breaking news, and the criminal justice system.
You will be a champion for compelling writing, dogged reporting and high-impact work. This includes ensuring that residents of the Coachella Valley get the strongest possible menu of local stories, as well as working with other editors and reporters to uncover and produce stories that will resonate across the region and state.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of guiding innovative daily and enterprise work, be well-versed in using metrics to inform beats and coverage decisions, and love to coach reporters, setting high standards and elevating the quality of their work.
Candidates must be able to coach both entry-level reporters and those with experience. Good knowledge of AP Style and fundamental newsgathering standards are a must. We interact daily with colleagues in multiple California newsrooms as well as a digital production team and national design studios.
This is a management position with a salary commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years or more of daily journalism experience.
- Editing experience is strongly preferred, but successful reporters eager for a leadership role will be considered.
- Strong news judgment and editing skills.
- Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Ability to help reporters identify story topics that will resonate with our audiences and execute them by delivering clear, complete news articles and video as appropriate.
- A knack for helping reporters hone skills in a wide range of storytelling, from real-time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO strategy.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Innovative, creative thinking that supports the company's goals.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Devotion to peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
- Passion for empathetic, compassionate storytelling.
- Commitment to detail, accuracy and fairness.
- Ability to build a coverage strategy using analytics and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media to augment news coverage and engage audience on digital platforms.
- An understanding of metrics.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly, when news requires it.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Examples of news articles that you have written and news articles that you have edited. You may attach commentary to these work samples, explaining the challenges you encountered in reporting or editing the story and how you overcame those.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Content Strategy & Coaching
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- California, USA
- Palm Springs, CA, USA