City Government/Growth & Development
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
City Government/Growth & Development
The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a City Government/Growth & Development Reporter to cover city government and growth and development in Mauldin, Simpsonville and Fountain Inn, South Carolina.
This area, known as the Golden Strip, has great stories to tell, and it offers an opportunity for a reporter to hone their skills. We want a reporter who will hold public officials accountable, help our audience understand their community and give readers the power to make informed decisions.
We’re looking for a reporter who will cover issues and not meetings. You will need to think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact on complex issues. The beat is highly competitive with other news outlets, and the communities in this area are among the fastest growing in South Carolina. This position requires a reporter who understands the impact of growth on a community from cost-of-living increases to issues such as overtaxed infrastructure and sprawl.
You will need to build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. You should have a desire to dig into data and file FOIA requests to get at information that’s not readily available.
This reporter will have to build a beat and have the news judgment to recognize compelling, socially shareable stories and you will be quick to jump on them.
Greenville is the anchor city in a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million people that is consistently listed among the best places to live in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and sits halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Become the leading voice on the Golden Strip.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provide thoughtful analysis of local issues.
- Work with our audience development editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content teams across the region to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A year of reporting experience preferred, but we’ll consider a recent graduate with all the right tools.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Greenville, SC, USA
- North Carolina, USA
- South Carolina, USA