Senior Digital Editor - Sports
Senior editor, USA TODAY Sports
USA TODAY Sports, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking candidate to lead its digital operation and trending news desk. The ideal candidate is an innovative and strategic leader with a track record of audience growth, content optimization, product innovation and more.
This editor will lead a team responsible for trending news, programming and alert strategy, SEO and social media growth and cross-platform optimization of story packages. This person will also coordinate with the other USA TODAY sections and third-party content partners on the promotion and sharing of content across all platforms. He or she will be responsible for helping to conceptualize and prepare coverage plans for tentpole events, working with reporters and editors from brainstorm to execution. This editor will be the department’s primary liaison with the product team and is responsible for collaborating on innovative enhancements to our content presentation.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Demonstrated commitment to producing and promoting journalism that is impactful and authoritative
- Deep understanding of audience development and funnel strategies to grow audience, especially through search and social media
- Experience working with reporters, producers and editors to create unique and engaging content
- Experience working with product teams to update and enhance presentation of content across all platforms.
- Ability to lead and collaborate on projects across newsroom departments and the USA TODAY Network
- Strong news judgment, great communication skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced news environment
- Commitment to diversity in reflecting the communities we cover
- Ability to coach team members in SEO optimization, social media best practices and social graphics to accompany USA TODAY Sports’ best work
- A proven record of helping reporters and editors achieve short and long-term career goals
- Bachelor's in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 7 years of experience working in a news organization
USA TODAY recognizes and appreciates the benefits of diversity in the workplace. EOE.
- Job Family Editors
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- McLean, VA, USA