Growth & Development Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Growth & Development Reporter
The Spartanburg Herald-Journal /goupstate.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a reporter to cover growth and development.
Spartanburg is part of the vibrant Upstate of South Carolina. Along with neighboring Greenville, it is the largest metro area in South Carolina. As of 2019 U.S. Census Bureau statistics, Spartanburg County is the 19th fastest-growing metropolitan area in the country.
New businesses, housing developments and apartments are consistently popping up across Spartanburg County. The city continues to grow with an expanding downtown. Boiling Springs, Roebuck and Duncan are also hotbeds for new industry and residential growth. The Herald-Journal strives to be the first to inform readers with breaking news and analysis related to our growth.
This is more than a business beat. The right candidate will be able to spot trends, connect dots and tell bigger stories about how the economic engines of this region are impacting Spartanburg and its residents.
This reporter is expected to file public records requests and mine data for enterprise stories. This reporter also works closely with our city and county government reporters for story tips and ideas. We want this reporter to also explore issues related to affordable housing, public transportation, racial equity and neighborhood sustainability.
Spartanburg sits halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Weekly business and development updates.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Takes on a leadership role with our What’s New in Spartanburg? Facebook Group.
- Works with editors and content strategists to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., Photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Use digital analytics to guide content decisions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience writing investigative or solutions-oriented journalism.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and Snap Chat.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- North Carolina, USA
- South Carolina, USA
- Spartanburg, SC, USA