USA Today Ohio Network’s state news team is seeking a curious, enterprising politics reporter to join the largest team in the state covering Ohio politics and government in Columbus.
This reporter will take the lead on politics coverage in a battleground state heading into a cycle with elections for governor and an open U.S. Senate seat. This reporter will produce scoops and insightful analysis for key audiences, including people who closely follow politics and people who usually don’t.
This reporter can quickly post news online and pivot to explaining what it means for our readers. As part of the USA Today Network, this reporter looks for opportunities to tell Ohio stories to a national audience. Experience covering state-level politics and elections preferred and knowledge of Ohio politics is a plus, but not required.
The politics reporter will work with others on a team covering the governor, Statehouse, Supreme Court and state issues and fill in for teammates as needed. The team’s mission is to explain to readers how action – or inaction – at the state level affects their daily lives. Every member of the team is expected to do investigation and watchdog work.
The state team works for 21 Gannett news organizations including three of the largest in the state: The Columbus Dispatch, The Cincinnati Enquirer and The Akron Beacon Journal. The team’s stories run statewide and occasionally on USA Today. The state team collaborates with reporters in other newsrooms to tell stories that help readers better understand our state.
- Translates politics to real-world news consumers with clear writing, using strong nut graphs and “why this is important to me” context.
- Tells stories in real time, breaking news online and updating stories incrementally as more information becomes available.
- Informs through news stories, explainers, live chats, podcasts and other means of non-traditional storytelling and audience engagement.
- Builds digital audience and uses audience data to find stories that matter to readers.
- Collaborates with digital team members and visual journalists to tell stories with photos, videos and other visual elements.
- Works toward becoming the leading source for Ohio political news in the state.
- Keeps tabs on Ohio’s political movers and shakers, from rising-star mayors to the state’s congressional delegation in Washington, D.C.
- Cultivates courses in Ohio’s political circles and seeks new voices to add to the conversation.
- Maintains a strong presence on social media.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three to five years reporting and writing experience, preferably covering local or state politics or government.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings
- A willingness to work with others and share bylines to achieve the best journalism.
How to apply
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Columbus, OH, USA
- Ohio, USA