This watchdog reporter will focus on holding officials accountable, protecting reader interests, uncovering wrongdoing and providing compelling context and analysis. This reporter must have familiarity with open records requests and experience exploring important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records.
This job requires a data-searching reporter who is good at source-building and is comfortable searching records about water quality, air quality, OSHA reports, civil lawsuits and more. This reporter will be able to tell readers how events in the region affect quality of life with the ultimate goal of producing regular watchdog journalism that leads to change.
Washington County, about 70 miles west of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., is the core of Herald-Mail Media's readership area, which also extends into the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia and across the Mason Dixon line into Pennsylvania.
· Will be skilled at reporting, writing and editing
· Will write 6-8 stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas
· Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs
· Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
· Must be proficient in social media
· Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
Here's what you need:
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent
· Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
· Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
· Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
· Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry. Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
*Valid driver’s license is required*
*This job includes some evening and weekend work*
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
- Cover letter that would demonstrate how you would approach the job
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family GateHouse Media
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hagerstown, MD, USA