The Norwich Bulletin/norwichbulletin.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover the eastern Connecticut community of Norwich, while providing assistance in the coverage of the communities of Griswold, Killingly and Plainfield, along with state news for the seven-day a week published newspaper and daily website that receive 130,000 visitors and 650,000 million page views monthly.
Located in eastern Conn., this position will allow the right applicant an opportunity to cover our core community while also potentially reporting on stories of statewide appeal for the USA Today Network.
Our ideal candidate is a collaborative team player who hustles after breaking news, has the investigative skills to hold the powerful accountable and is committed to reporting the news fully and fairly. We are seeking a key player to help craft coverage, shift old narratives, plan long-term focuses and find new ways to engage with our audiences.
Bulletin reporters are expected to have some photo skills and multimedia storytelling experience is a plus. Reporters are expected to write at least one story a day plus a weekly enterprise story. Working at night is common and some weekend hours and holidays may also be required.
The successful candidate will have a passion for community journalism and become a part of the community they cover.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice for news and issues in Gadsden.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
- Work with content coach to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years’ reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Norwich, CT, USA