TRIBAL AFFAIRS AND WATCHDOG REPORTER
The Oklahoman is hiring a strong storyteller and passionate journalist to cover Oklahoma's expansive Native American community for readers of The Oklahoman and Oklahoman.com.
This reporter is expected to break news on tribal affairs and develop enterprise work with clear writing that outlays the impact of complex issues. This journalist will also serve as a watchdog reporter in our newsroom.
You must build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. You should have work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories and familiarity with open records requests, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories.
In addition, we will ask you to connect with the community not just via social media, but on camera, and through community forums and events.
All Oklahoman reporters handle occasional general assignments and breaking news and are expected to identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms including mobile, desktop and social media.
Our next tribal affairs writer will engage readers across all platforms by:
* Breaking news on tribal affairs in Oklahoma;
* Writing memorable features, enterprise and project-level pieces;
* Connecting with the community through reporting and outreach (social media, on camera, live video, podcasts, forums, community leadership, etc.).
* Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation;
* Working with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
* Using real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
* Contributing to and collaborating with a team of journalists to serve a readership captivated by the ever-changing landscape of health in Oklahoma.
If you're committed to all this and helping us get better, please submit an application here and send a cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to:
100 W. Main, Suite 100
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
- Job Family News
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA