The Cape Cod Times/capecodtimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a News Editor to lead the news operation. The right candidate loves coaching and developing journalists who reveal important news, create stories with power and clarity and bring crucial context that helps our audience make sense of life in our city, in this time. This senior editor role gives you the opportunity to impact lives both inside and outside the newsroom.
- Organized and thinks digital first from planning coverage and setting deadlines, to working with the digital team to prepare and push out optimized content across all platforms.
- Uses Parse.ly to help reporters to identify and focus on issues of interest to our readers and produce high-engagement content, including accountability, solutions, enterprise and investigative journalism.
- Work with the executive editor to collaborate with news, photo, sports, features and digital teams to make sure our best work is surfaced in print and online and to share ideas and determine the best use of resources.
- Help staff identify and better engage with underserved communities and broaden our source base such that we regularly include people from minority communities when planning coverage and in our journalism.
- Work with the executive editor and an inter-departmental team to increase digital subscriptions and will work with other Gannett New England editors to produce and share content both across the region and nationally.
- Directs and champions investigative and First Amendment journalists.
- Monitors real-time metrics to develop a clear picture of audience needs.
- Provides excellent customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Represents the newspaper to community leaders and members of the community.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Editors
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Hyannis Port, Barnstable, MA, USA